LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    I agree what everyone has said here but I would like to add one thing . That is know you limits. If you are going out on a day that is a bit bigger than you are use to and you are not 100% confident that your surfing is at the level needed that day or even you have a weird feeling that if you go out something bad might happen dont.

Also try to find someone in you skill range that you can surf with for moral support. It also motivates you both aswell

and don't assume all surfers are male...

Quote Originally Posted by MATT JOHNSON View Post
    Also try to find someone in you skill range that you can surf with for moral support. It also motivates you both aswell
    Also along those lines, if you are going out and there is no life guard, the buddy system is important if you don't want to get hurt or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by MATT JOHNSON View Post
    If you are going out on a day that is a bit bigger than you are use to and you are not 100% confident that your surfing is at the level needed that day or even you have a weird feeling that if you go out something bad might happen dont.
    disagree with this...you will never progress properly/learn to paddle out in big surf/learn to not be scared if you sit on the beach every time you are not 100% confident.

Paddling out when you are out of your comfort zone is part of the experience. I'm not saying paddle out in overhead mackers your fifth time out, i'm say if you are 100% confident every time you paddle out, your learning curve will be super flat, and you will stick to the breaks that have no power. Push yourself, but with common sense. Our sandy beaches arent dangerous places to surf. You actually need a few of those sessions LBI mentioned when its macking and scary...thats how you learn to deal, and get the adrenaline rushes that will keep you coming back for more.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    disagree with this...you will never progress properly/learn to paddle out in big surf/learn to not be scared if you sit on the beach every time you are not 100% confident.

Paddling out when you are out of your comfort zone is part of the experience. I'm not saying paddle out in overhead mackers your fifth time out, i'm say if you are 100% confident every time you paddle out, your learning curve will be super flat, and you will stick to the breaks that have no power. Push yourself, but with common sense. Our sandy beaches arent dangerous places to surf. You actually need a few of those sessions LBI mentioned when its macking and scary...thats how you learn to deal, and get the adrenaline rushes that will keep you coming back for more.
    Good advise. Pick your swell wisely and make sure your out with someone who can watch your back. It is the only way to progress and lose that fear factor required to surf the heavy stuff.

I can tell you where not to surf THE GULF COAST!!! Although Jersey isn't too far off. They have sewage water as opposed to tar balls.

Quote Originally Posted by ilya687 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I just got my surfboard (8'6" funboard) this weekend and I am looking to get into the water as much as I can this summer. The only two times I have surfed so far has been once in Virginia Beach and once on the Outer Banks in NC.

Where are some good places to to in NJ? Any places to avoid? I am really just starting out so I have no idea where spots are around here.

--
    Ilya C
    Find someone that has been surfing for a few years.You can progress so much faster if you go out with someone who can teach you the ropes.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by avonsurfernc View Post
    I can tell you where not to surf THE GULF COAST!!! Although Jersey isn't too far off. They have sewage water as opposed to tar balls.
    Ya this is true,sometimes the sewage comes up from North Carolina.Yee hawwwwww

assateague. its wide open most of the time. bring a friend who knows how to surf or make friedns in the water if you're good at doing that sort of stuff. You will progress much faster if you have someone their to push you to do new things and correct your mistakes.

Thumbs up Good Places

Deal 4 Sure