LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Images

OCBP oversteps its bounds

long story short:

i paddled out at 44th street at about 4 pm wednesday night. oblivious to the world, i carved up some waves on my sponge, and ended up drifting up to 48th street.

since i didnt paddle out there, i didnt know that it was the surfing beach that day. maybe 10 guys out and everybody was pretty spread out. it was probably 4:45 when this kid paddles his surfboard over to me and tells me to get out and go somewhere else. he was a lifeguard but i did not know that at the time, because he never identified himself as one. i thought he was just some d-bag breaking my balls because i was riding a sponge. i paid him no mind.

10 minutes later, a different guy swims right up to me. in a very hostile voice he asks me if i want to do this the hard way. he basically swam out to provoke me. i answered his brutality with my own brutality. he swam in and called the cops. he never once said he was a lifeguard.

i rode waves for another half hour while the guard and cops were waiting for me. after catching one close to the inside another lifeguard came and told me i should come talk to the cops. he was respectful but even he didnt identify himself as a guard.

so i got a $50 ticket for disobeying a lifeguards orders. i am sure that i will get off when i go to court.

this is not about spongers vs surfers. i have been living here for 14 years and can get along with anybody.

lifeguards need to show some respect for the guys that are out in the water the other 9 months of the year when the beaches go unguarded. if you have an issue with us, you need to identify yourselves as lifeguards. we are not used to you being there. dont assume we know who you are.

show respect and you will get respect.

lifeguards are gay.
    same thing basically happened to me in seaside 15 years ago.
    go down to their gay 'headquarters' tomorrow morning and confront them with what they did and how wrong it was.
    i did that and they never showed up in court,and i got out of even appearing before a judge=no court costs or anything.
    then be stoked that you have a ticket from a cop for 'failure to obey lifeguard.'

Images
    So you have lived here for 14 years and you didn't turn around once and see two giant yellow lifeguard stands and fflags? Not to mention that you would prob know that surfing is not allowed between 10 and 5:30. And now your whining about a $50 fine? I don't know man your storydoesnt make that much sense.

That does sound lame as ****. A lot of these lifeguards are college dudes who just come out for the summer for a job. Thats it. You'll be surprised that a lot of these guys aren't even residents of your town or whatever town they happen to be guarding in. Didn't you call them out on why they didn't identify themselves as lifeguards?

And Beachbreak not trying to get all pc on you, but are you going for some kind of record to see how many times you can call things[having nothing to do with sexuality] gay?

uh,the definition of 'gay' has changed since it meant happy,then ****sexual,and lifeguards are gay

Images
    Yea dude obviously I sponge, but I know about the surfing beaches. I was out at the same spot earlier that day with my buddy who rides a shortboard. He went down to 47th-46th, I stayed with a pack of younger spongers on 48th, I stayed right up on the flag. Gotta recognize your position in the water, you weren't paying attention.

When I was a guard (and no I'm not gay) we were required to carry a can when we went into the water. There was never a mistake then.

Sorry, but I have to agee with Moose. After about a week, you know surfing beaches, swimming beaches, lifeguard shifts, etc. 14 years.... since i didnt paddle out there, i didnt know that it was the surfing beach that day You didn't notice anyone on surfboards?? Come on dude... The guard should have identified himself as BP, but oh well. Good luck

It should have been obvious, as others have said, since you can only surf in a defined area. You should have heard whistles too as no doubt they were whistling at you before they swam out and said something. The lifeguards can be a hastle, but you never know when you will need them, so show respect. On that note some are harder to show respect to than others.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    When I was a guard (and no I'm not gay) we were required to carry a can when we went into the water. There was never a mistake then.

ditto.

i didn't carry a can when i went out to "play" but i certainly made sure to take one when doing something "official".

& just b/c you don't like something doesn't make it "gay". as i tell my students, "gay" is not a synonym for "stupid".