LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Northender Guest
    I swallow my keys and when I need them back I will take laxcitives

Thumbs up pacsafe

Some general stuff on keepin' it secured...

I use a Pacsafe bag when I'm surfing or kayaking or when I go up the trailhead from a parking lot. As we all know, many a**holes are known to lurk until you're out in the water or up in the hills. They then bust a window on your vehicle & ransack for wallets, watches, anything....

I bought a Pacsafe bag: the Travelsafe 100. I secure it to the metal seat adjustment bar under the front seats. I keep my wallet, Blackberry, cash, vehicle remote & whatever in this bag. It's got a mesh-lined fabric that's impossible to cut through. The cable is airline-cable. The lock is basic but it does the job. That's the bag that I dump everything into when I go surfing. Only 45 bucks. I can utilize this bag in the car, on the beach, leave it in the hotel room when I'm out for the evening. Stash the small keys for the lock on the outside of your ride or put the keys in your leash pocket, as others have mentioned. It's very lightweight & folds small for traveling.

www.pacsafe.com They have all sorts of superb secure bags & other stuff on that site. My buddy bot a slash-proof, cut-proof camera bag for his high-end Canon gear. I also bought one, for my Nikon. We've traveled many time to places like Nicaragua, as well as Barbados, as well as eastern shore of USA & it was great to know the gear was dry & safe.

BTW, no worries about hotel employees stealing your gear. I don't use the in-room safe in those hotels. Management & all too often the maintenance dudes have the override key / code. Stuff gets stolen all the time by hotel employees & you the guest are just SOL.

Happened to my buddy in Cabarete, DR. Very good condo property, with security. He put his valuables in a drawer, under a bunch of clothing. He came back to his room from dinner. Wallet, 1200 bucks cash, Treo, camera, laptop.... gone. He's lucky they didn't swipe his passport. No sign of forced entry...and the ylocked up aftert they departed with his valuables ! F**kers ! Def an in-house theft. Management said sorry there's nada that we can do for you. Not a good day in his life.

I own a company here in Arlington, VA wherein physical security of all sorts is exactly what we do. Safes, locks, cameras of all kinds, you name it. So I'm not just talking about Pacsafes gear...it's proven to me that it works. BTW, Pacsafes wins awards for creating innovative anti-theft gear.

The AquaPac I mentioned above is easy to do for the basic valuables needed - in addition to keys - driver's license, credit card, cash, insurance cards and a contact number in case something happens to me. Have made it a habit to use it especially since I do a reasonable about of travel. You're kidding yourself if you want to stash your keys "on a tire" in SoCal and especially in places like Puerto Rico and Costa Rica. I only take what I need or what is disposable when traveling in Latin America, e.g., zip lock bag with contact lens stuff, and a plastic bag with wax and sunblock and basic first aid supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by Northender View Post
    I swallow my keys and when I need them back I will take laxcitives
    very creative...hope you keep rubber gloves handy.

Thumbs up covering all the bases

That Aqua Pac looks pretty neat. Single purpose design & it seems to achieve that single purpose.

I know that when I travel I'm looking to carry the least amount of crap possible. That's why the Pacsafe gear makes sense: you can utilize it when you're in the water, in the hotel room, in the vehicle. I always look for gear that can do more than one aspect. Saves time, saves clutter, saves space, makes sense.

Whatever works for each, though...

Northender Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    That Aqua Pac looks pretty neat. Single purpose design & it seems to achieve that single purpose.

I know that when I travel I'm looking to carry the least amount of crap possible. That's why the Pacsafe gear makes sense: you can utilize it when you're in the water, in the hotel room, in the vehicle. I always look for gear that can do more than one aspect. Saves time, saves clutter, saves space, makes sense.

Whatever works for each, though...
    You are like an infomercial dude

I have a chip in my key so I had to have a non-chip key made just for the doors. I leave everything in the truck and attach the door key to my board shorts (if I lose my shorts I've got bigger problems). Also, I keep a slim jim in my toolbox and a key to my toolbox outside in case I lock the keys in.

shove it up your a$$.

I'm going to steal all of your cars now that i know where you all keep your keys.

i just use a backpack. is it because you dont feel like carrying a bag or you dont want to get that stolen?