LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Freaking Fantastic

http://www2.ucar.edu/news/ocean-curr...atlantic-coast

imagine this scenario....Empty tropical swell throughout the southeast because there's oil in the water...man this is going to suck for years to come

might be time to move to costa

Images
    horrific...

For the Mid Atlantic/Northeast people, It didn't have the dye reaching north of the Outer Banks.

yeah but I wonder what a nice sized storm would do if the oil was sitting off the mid atlantic coast...one with the right trajectory might bring storm surge up the chesapeake or onto the delmarva beaches I'd imagine....plus it's not just oil, the dispersant scares me. I don't want to grow a third arm or something from swimming in that junk...unbelievable really, it's just terrible.

is there anything we can do to get ready now?

Peacock and her colleagues stress that the simulations are not a forecast because it is impossible to accurately predict the precise location of the oil weeks or months from now. Instead, the simulations provide an envelope of possible scenarios for the oil dispersal. The timing and course of the oil slick will be affected by regional weather conditions and the ever-changing state of the Gulf’s Loop Current—neither of which can be predicted more than a few days in advance. The dilution of the oil relative to the source will also be impacted by details such as bacterial degradation, which are not included in the simulations.

unfortunately, it's hard to stay optimistic at this point

poor florida

It sucks but you never know. currents may change and keep it over open water. Probably just as well to get it onshore quickly where it's easier to clean up.

yeah in all honest there is not much we can do but sit and wait....one thing I do know is that I'm going to get out in the water as much as possible while I still can

Images
    The environmental hazard is my most significant concern, but if the oil does come onshore, I'd imagine there would be a big economic hit on the beach tourism.

It would be in Fla for sure. I would think if it ever made it up to DelMarVa or NJ it would be diluted enough to have minimal impacts.

yeah, if it does stay off the mid atlantic, beach towns north of the effected area may see a big jump though

one thing for sure about all this is we will learn an awful lot about ocean currents