LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SUP Kooks

SUP Kooks

Wow, Summer is here and there are about 20 SUPs in the water. They love sitting at the peak really far out and then snaking people. It's a chore just to avoid these assholes when paddling out. I guess when you're fat and can't paddle a surfboard you have to cheat with the SUP

Anyone else noticing this new SUP trend and more of these in the water this year?

it's hardly new...there have been SUPers at my usual summer spot for at least 2 years now. & yea, they can be annoying, & most of them are incompetent & dangerous, but it's something i'd like to try. from everything i've heard, SUP is a great workout, esp. for balance & core strength.
    my complaint w/ them is how they seem to sit right on top of you when you've found a nice little peak to yourself. but that's not something only SUPs do; regular surfers do it, too. \

best make your peace w/ them. in this age of "everybody surfs", SUP is here to stay.

Images
    Yeah I have seen a cpl out at the 2 places I surf in the summer. They havent become a pain in the ass yet. The one guy stays out of ppls way and goes where it is empty to avoid any issues so that cool with me

wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    most of the sups in wb stay out of the way but most of them are out way past everyone just sweeping their way up and down the beach and thats cool and sometimes will they snag a wave but that doesnt bother me if its only one and then they move on. but suping is cool and i one day would like to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    it's hardly new...there have been SUPers at my usual summer spot for at least 2 years now. & yea, they can be annoying, & most of them are incompetent & dangerous, but it's something i'd like to try. from everything i've heard, SUP is a great workout, esp. for balance & core strength.
    my complaint w/ them is how they seem to sit right on top of you when you've found a nice little peak to yourself. but that's not something only SUPs do; regular surfers do it, too. \

best make your peace w/ them. in this age of "everybody surfs", SUP is here to stay.
    I agree 99%. My brother is a fly fisherman. He is a purist. And we agree that SUP's are spin fisherman of surfing. They annoy the "purists" and they catch everything. But I would like to try it.

Images
    I did not respect the SUP surfing until I witnessed it on a regular basis, done the right way... There is a guy in my town nick named "Butter". He is a huge guy, weighs at least 260-275lbs... He is in his mid to late 30s and has been a local legend for about 25 years. His claim to fame is that he rides GIANT funshape shortboards... Basically like 7'6 - 8ft boards or so and this guy throws these thick boards around like they are potato chips... He shreds, throwing every bit of his 300lbs into every turn..... So, he is sick to watch..

So, anyway, a couple of years ago, I noticed him showing up and coming out on his SUP board.... Now, most people take out SUP boards when its REALLY FREAKING SMALL OUT... So, it just looks retarded when you see some guy stand up paddling into a 2 foot beach break... Its pointless. It closes out and he looks stupid...

Butter started taking his SUP board out when it was OH+ - DOH... He shows up on the reefs and just KILLS sh** on this SUP board. I mean, he gets 300 yards rides, going like 200 MPH... Just flying, throwing this thing around like its a 5'10.....

Sometimes he will bring it down to the pier and surf it in the large days at the beach break.... It is a work of art... Seeing him take off on a super fast punchy beach break, get a little barrel, come out on this 12 foot monster, slam the lip, all while he has his paddle tucked in his arm like a ski pole...

I mean, It isnt my cup of tea right now... But my main problem with SUPs is that they are usually operated by kooks in 2 foot beach breaks.....

its like longboarding in general.... All my shortboarding friends and I only grab the logs if its like nkee high out... But every once in a while, you gotta take your log out when its firing and it gives you a whole new respect for it... Longboarding a Head High day will make you fall in love with longboarding.... But then when you try it and its 2 feet, you get bummed, like... wow, this sucks....

Same with SUPing... If people would ride these things on good waves, it would look a ton better.

Images

snaked by a sup

a few months back. good waves. and a sup er (that ive never seen) came in and sat 20 ft outside of line up and snaked many peeps..it was only a matter of time before he fell in water and got cold. we all had wetsuits on still. just one bad experience...parrots are here...

i am sure i will see plenty of them out today. i call them novelty surfers. most of them just bring down boards, and usually bring their boards in the water, and just do nothing, but take up space. even when there are no waves they just sit around in the designated surfing areas swimming around on their boards to impress their girlfriends.

Quote Originally Posted by eatswell View Post
    i am sure i will see plenty of them out today. i call them novelty surfers. most of them just bring down boards, and usually bring their boards in the water, and just do nothing, but take up space. even when there are no waves they just sit around in the designated surfing areas swimming around on their boards to impress their girlfriends.
    The last line made me laugh. This is so true!

Quote Originally Posted by 609Surfer View Post
    The last line made me laugh. This is so true!
    i mean it they're floating all over the place! it's funny, because a couple weekends ago when there was a good swell there was not many people in the ocean surfing or better yet people floating around on their boards. the only people out were locals to the breaks, or people who actually REALLY surf. i surfed two different spots today, and people were all over which is no surprise. though tonight at sunset there were like three times as many guys out there than i saw a few weekends ago at sunset when the swell was shoulder high. i can't blame a person who is new to this whole thing who is seriously trying to learn about things, and doesn't really have much knowledge, but is trying learn the flow of things out there. though a lot of these guys that come out in the summer are the same people who have been coming to the beach in the season, and getting in the water with their boards for like 5, 10, even 20 years some of them.

just year after year when the weather is warm they came out there with their boards. i recognize some of the faces even after 8 or 9 months yearly of not seeing them. some of them i actually think are trying to impress the avid surfers more than anything. i piss myself when i see some people come out wearing suits that the water is just 15 degrees too warm for. another favorite is after 5;00 when the lifeguards leave, and the flags are pulled out, and the designated surf, swim, and bodyboard areas no longer apply, and guys put their boards in spots that don't even break. they sit their embarrassed trying to pretend ''oh this sucks. i've been waiting here in my spot for 45 minutes now, and no waves. guess i came at the wrong time. oh well i'll keep waiting!'' by the way i am not angry about any of this at all. i am mildly annoyed, and majorly amused by this stuff. i'm just glad that unless there is a storm bringing a good swell that june for the MOST part is a mediocre month to surf at best on the east coast.