Half my friends in SD are military. Its like, possibly the largest military city in the whole nation. We have Navy and Marines EVERYWHERE... But for the most part, they are chill. I think that about 50% of the young military guys who live on the coast all at least purchase a surf board and give it a try. Troops are generally fit and look for activities that push those physical limits.... So, yeah, I would say a TON of troops surf. And I think it is awesome... You should see the excitement on my friends faces as they paddle out with me after a 9 month deployment in the middle east... Its like christmas...

So for sure, Troops surf. Some guys are pretty good too. For the most part, they are not "kooks", they are just guys who ended up living and working at the beach. And they usually have quite a bit o disposable income... Most of my military buddies all have nice toys and nice boards because they live on base or whatever.

And one more note. When I was younger, I had this notion that Marines etc were these huge meathead guys that smash beer cans over their heads, take steroids and beat the sh** out of people at bars....

I think over the last 15 years or so, a lot has changed... A lot of the gerneal public is going right into the military out of high school and such, and to me, its no longer something for these action-crazy jarhead guys.... To me, whenever I see packs of Military guys, they look like KIDS to me. I mean, really. Like teenagers... Most of them can't even grow beards yet... So, my whole perception of the military has changed.... Its like, how can you get mad at some young kid for cutting you off on a 2 foot wave, when he is dedicating his life to you basically. While you were getting better at surfing the past 8 months, maybe the guys paddling next to you has been at war, protecting you and your family, and maybe thats why hes not out there busting air-reverses.....

A tip of the hat to anyone on here who is protecting us in the military.... YOu are more brave than most of us.