LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tide Watches

I've had RC watches since they first came out. The tide part is nice but I really only use mine in the water for summer to let me know when it's getting close to guard time since I can't tell time for crap.

technically, NJ is all "beach break" but the terrain & bottom features do vary extensively from place to place, and what the tide is doing at any certain window has a drastic effect on the surf quality. Having a tide watch helps me process that info in real time so I can make a decision where to check first, where to not bother, where to keep in mind for later, etc.

I like driving by some spot crowded with a bunch of Benny-driven SUVs with boards in travel bags on the top and a bunch of "bro" types looking at the 6-10 guys n the water, seemingly, attempting to figure out what exactly they're looking at (or just posing trying to look cool) while I head towards a different spot with 2 guys in the water (if that) that I know in 1 hour or so will be bombing

Images
    DaMook: I wasnt calling YOU a kook for the whole watch thing... What I really said was that a bunch of my friends are kooks, and they all wear those watches. So, I was really saying that most of my friends who are "surfers" really arent. They just rock tide watches and surf outfits while they each breakfast by the beach checking the surf, talking about "I dunno man, its not really big enough out there. I dont think im gonna get wet today"... So, I apologize if you took it that way, I was making fun of my own people. And they just happen to own a few expensive tide watches. I guess they put a bad taste in my mouth...

Same thing with Al Merrick boards. I know a ton of them are sick. But all my friends who are kooks and wannabes all have $750 al merrick boards. I know Kelly rides them and all, but I just have a bad opinion of them because of the people I know who ride them...

Its not al merricks fault, its my kook friends faults for being so gay.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    DaMook: I wasnt calling YOU a kook for the whole watch thing... What I really said was that a bunch of my friends are kooks, and they all wear those watches. So, I was really saying that most of my friends who are "surfers" really arent. They just rock tide watches and surf outfits while they each breakfast by the beach checking the surf, talking about "I dunno man, its not really big enough out there. I dont think im gonna get wet today"... So, I apologize if you took it that way, I was making fun of my own people. And they just happen to own a few expensive tide watches. I guess they put a bad taste in my mouth...

Same thing with Al Merrick boards. I know a ton of them are sick. But all my friends who are kooks and wannabes all have $750 al merrick boards. I know Kelly rides them and all, but I just have a bad opinion of them because of the people I know who ride them...

Al Merrick is kookish too!!!??? Goddamn you I ride one!!! lmao! just kidding, no serious offense...no worries.

Images
    I got the Freestyle Tide 3.0 a couple weeks for ago for $60 and I'm satisfied. It has tons of breaks that you can set as your break and then you can do an offset by minutes. So I picked Manasquan and then offset it to be more accurate to my more northern location. When I'm in the water, there are several times that I'm on a schedule. I'm too busy to surf until I'm tired every day, so sometimes I have to limit it to about 2 hours. I don't associate watches with kooks and the people that sit on the beach saying its not big enough yet aren't kooks, they're posers.

I really dont understand why kooks/posers are a bad thing. Cheap (good condition) used boards at the end of the season. People who cant surf = more waves for me. Not big enough to surf = less people in the water. Lastly, surf watches being kooky just doesnt even make sense. Clearly, this is comming from someone who is a kook and has never traveled. Many times I've set my watch b4 a vacation and used it the whole trip. In most 3rd world countries you cant just bring your Iphone everywhere nor is it suggested. I bet you would be the dude asking me what the tide is doing. Long story short, Ive had the same watch for 8 years and only changed the battery once and the band twice. It cost me 200 bucks at the time and to say they are low quality is false. This watch goes through quite a beating from chlorine pools to harsh Caribbean saltwater and still is holding strong. Sorry btw, the watch is a Rip Curl, Core tide watch.
    Last edited by fupafest; Jun 16, 2010 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    so your friends are kooks? and gay? hahahahaha.