LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37

Thread: Tide Watches

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    garbage state
    Posts
    834
    Images
    3
    one thing i have to admit is that the customer service at rip curl is impeccable. Every watch returned was fixed for free. im just going to return this one, again...Casio puts out a decent looking digital watch that tracks the tide, but I really like the analog faces, just a bit more classy for those evenings out in my white dinner jacket and bowtie.

  2. #12
    Who needs a tide watch anymore when you have your swellinfo app on your iphone...

    Seriously. So much tide-info available via cell-phone apps it seems tide-watches are obsolete.

  3. i have the nixon outsider. very nice looking watch and seems to be holding up the only thing is the tide is always off by an hour during daylight savings time witch is pretty gay but i called nixon about a month ago and they said it would be fixed soon and when they resolve the problem they will trade me for a new one. I'm pretty sure they ran into the same problem with a few other tide watches lately.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    You may have noticed the Swellinfo ad for the Pathfinder watches. They look pretty sweet:
    http://pathfinder.casio.com/

    Only some of them have tide data though.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fernandina Beach
    Posts
    86

    tick tock

    QS's Moondak tide watch - very functional, sh*tload of various beaches tide set ups, durable n only $95.00

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    milton delaware
    Posts
    1,371
    Images
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMook View Post
    .Casio puts out a decent looking digital watch that tracks the tide, but I really like the analog faces, just a bit more classy for those evenings out in my white dinner jacket and bowtie.
    Ive got a casio watch with analog hands - decent looking...well whatever - that keeps tides. 2 years going strong. decent enough and cost about $40. The little circle on the lower left is the tide phase...after 45 minutes i was able to fugure out how to set it for the atlantic ocean off maryland.

    Last edited by mitchell; Jun 15, 2010 at 05:32 PM.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by shorepoints View Post
    Who needs a tide watch anymore when you have your swellinfo app on your iphone...

    Seriously. So much tide-info available via cell-phone apps it seems tide-watches are obsolete.
    tide-watches help me when im in the water, so i wouldn't say they are obsolete because they are very useful

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hilton Head Island - OB, SD
    Posts
    3,642
    Images
    26
    There was a similar post a few weeks ago.

    I have had the same freestyle tidewatch for about 6 years now. Hands down, the best, most durable watches out there for surfing. Nixon and Ripcurl. no offense are what all the kooks wear that I know. Most of which are my friends, who never surf with me, but stay decked out in quicksilver and volcom from head to toe, with a $300 silver tide watch that they never actually need, but its a great conversation piece when they are trying to talk to chicks in PB.

    So, I would put aside the fact that the freestyle watches lack some style, but they are a real waterman's watch. I have worn mine in heavy surf for years and years and years. No problem. No let downs. No breakage. No nothing....

    As far as the analog thing goes, my first freestyle underwater watch was a analog one. It was sick, but after two years, it let moisture into the glass. I sent it back... they sent me a new one. It had a heavy duty velcro strap (Ugly, but useful). One day, I was drunk with friends and jumped off the mission bay bridge, which is about 30-40 feet, and when I hit the water, the watch just exploded off my wrist...

    So, in heavy surf conditions, the velco would have crapped out eventually...

    So, the best in my opinion, is the black, rubber looking freestyle tide watch with the normal latching strap.... It is under $100 bucks and it paid for itself like 5 years ago....

    I have one mode set to the tide in SD, and the other mode set to OC MD... so even when I get back home, I just click one button and Im real time in the delmarva tides...

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    garbage state
    Posts
    834
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    There was a similar post a few weeks ago.

    I have had the same freestyle tidewatch for about 6 years now. Hands down, the best, most durable watches out there for surfing. Nixon and Ripcurl. no offense are what all the kooks wear that I know. Most of which are my friends, who never surf with me, but stay decked out in quicksilver and volcom from head to toe, with a $300 silver tide watch that they never actually need, but its a great conversation piece when they are trying to talk to chicks in PB.

    So, I would put aside the fact that the freestyle watches lack some style, but they are a real waterman's watch. I have worn mine in heavy surf for years and years and years. No problem. No let downs. No breakage. No nothing....

    As far as the analog thing goes, my first freestyle underwater watch was a analog one. It was sick, but after two years, it let moisture into the glass. I sent it back... they sent me a new one. It had a heavy duty velcro strap (Ugly, but useful). One day, I was drunk with friends and jumped off the mission bay bridge, which is about 30-40 feet, and when I hit the water, the watch just exploded off my wrist...

    So, in heavy surf conditions, the velco would have crapped out eventually...

    So, the best in my opinion, is the black, rubber looking freestyle tide watch with the normal latching strap.... It is under $100 bucks and it paid for itself like 5 years ago....

    I have one mode set to the tide in SD, and the other mode set to OC MD... so even when I get back home, I just click one button and Im real time in the delmarva tides...
    haha so much for velcro...rip curls kookish? i never saw a a freestyle i liked. i always thought they were second rate to rip curls. i guess its a matter of taste, anyway i rely heavily on my tide watch. I'm always keeping track of the beach and bay. Between fishing, surfing, periodic floods and days on the beach with the family, I need to be informed and an ipod app aint gonna cut it.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    garbage state
    Posts
    834
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    Ive got a casio watch with analog hands - decent looking...well whatever - that keeps tides. 2 years going strong. decent enough and cost about $40. The little circle on the lower left is the tide phase...after 45 minutes i was able to fugure out how to set it for the atlantic ocean off maryland.


    this is pretty nice.