LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    i have a lost rocket and its good from anything from 1ft mush to head high. my favorite board

Images
    I just picked up a Semi used 6'2 x 21x 2& 3/4 Epoxy Quad Fish Jim Barnes from legend Surfboards made it and Its a pretty good board It can handle knee to headhigh and paddles great and I am a Longboarder but I can jump on this thing and not have any trasition akwardness. He is on this forum I think his user name is Legend Jim

And there is alway Brian Wynn as mentioned he make amazing boards as well . If you rather have something a little more retro the Bing Karma and Lotus are really good boards for eastcoast surf aswell

DEwave rider i am looking at the rocket pretty hard, i would like to know how the XTR glass is as opposed to the typical Poly. I will demo the two firewires and go from there. NOw if I could a Rocket in FST firewire construction that would be sick. I think the Stealth is a little bit more performance shortboard than hybrid.

Did you talk with Bill Frierson? He was one of the original partners for WRV. He's in VB, I had one of his boards fly off my car doing 80 and it survived. Only had a ground down fin.

http://www.friersondesigns.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bushwood View Post
    DEwave rider i am looking at the rocket pretty hard, i would like to know how the XTR glass is as opposed to the typical Poly. I will demo the two firewires and go from there. NOw if I could a Rocket in FST firewire construction that would be sick. I think the Stealth is a little bit more performance shortboard than hybrid.
    XTR is a kind of blank, not glass.

Bushwood-
    If you are looking at a Firewire, a Coil is basically the same price before shipping and it would be a true custom- e-mail Mike Daniels mike@coilsurf.com and discuss it with him
    Coils are eps foam, epoxy resin, vacuum bagged to maximize the strength while minimizing the weight. Daniels is an extremely talented shaper (used to shape for WRV so probably worked side by side with your previous shaper)

Also Scott Busbey @ In the eye in Buxton has been doing some really good epoxies for years - he has several construction methods, he will use corecell on the deck if you want, or vacuum bag it to get it lighter. Also he has really good prices!! and is a great guy to work with

Either one of these guys will get you a good riding board that will be much more durable than a PU/PE

good luck
    JN

Images
    ive heard good things about scott busbeys vacuum bagged EPS/EPOXY boards.

Personally, I believe VA is really difficult to pull off a 90% single board solution. I've bought and sold about $4000 in boards trying. That being said, retro-shaped hull quad fish is probably the closest thing I've found for a 90% solution in this area. I'm heavy,(210 lbs), so the flat bottom and wide tail allows me to catch knee-high mush that I couldn't get with a 10' Bing. So far, the biggest I've gotten it into is chest-high, clean waives and the soft rails provided well enough hold to convince me it would be fine in head high waives. This is all at the sacrifice of truly vertical surfing, though.

IMHO, VA won't let you pull off a single board solution if you are 30-something surfer that's wanting to surf more than once every two weeks and surf in a high-performance capacity. Unless you're an 80 lbs grom, you need a minimum of 2 boards here: One for the commonly gutless knee-high wave groveling and one for chest-high and above performance surfing. just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Ray F.; Jun 27, 2010 at 08:13 AM.