LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

b-board to catch really weak waves?

Just wondering something. Today I got skunked with knee to thigh waves with zero power. 3.5 feet at 5 seconds. I couldn't catch them with my board. Not enough power to those waves. They were spilling and had open sections though. They weren't closing out. Now I know that longboards can catch small waves that normal surfboards can't.

So I was wondering if I made by bodyboard more buoyant by taping one board on top of another board, would I be able to catch those really weak waves?

Also, would a longer board(like the 46 inch big kahuna), (I'm 6 foot 2 155 pounds) have the effect of better being able to catch completely power-less waves?

I'd rather tape one board onto the other with duck tape because those "big man" type bodyboards are like $200 and I'm broke and I spent 50 bucks on my bodyboard and it works great in regular waves. It's a 41.5 inch board.
    Last edited by mikeb2056; Jun 25, 2010 at 04:02 AM.

Images
    doubling up on boards is a really silly idea, and I wouldnt suggest that.

My advice for you is to get what you can out of the weak waves with the board you have, or find another hobby when its small! I lot of guys I bodyboard with, bust out a fish or a longboard on the small surf days.

a bigger bodyboard will float you more, but generally will be less reactive for any maneuvering.

Images
    Its all about the leg power man.

Its not leg power. I have perfect positioning in the wave to catch it. The waves simply will not move me. There's zero power to the waves. It just trickles.

Are you in southeastern North Carolina? That sounds like the kind of mushy weak surf I've been trying to catch all week. They just weren't breaking outside with any kind of force to them, even the longboarders couldn't catch them. Sometimes you've just got to give up and ride the shorebreak, I guess.

Images
    Haha i know, i hate when the waves are like that. If the waves are that weak i do what scarecrow said and ride the shorbreak.

No I'm not in north Carolina. I'm in the ocean state-rhode island. Looks like Tuesday will be awesome here. Finally

8. It's all about having the right tools for the waves, and in this case, it sounds like the right tool might be a longboard, mate -- can make even the smallest ripples fun again.

Images
    if it is really that weak, then you need to go find something else to do!

Images
    just position yourself rite and do not tape to boards on top of each other.