LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: La Nina

Images

La Nina

So, im not sure exactly how this affects the mid-atlantic, but I know that the El Nino this year in the pacific jacked up all the winter weather back east because the jet stream drops down further south, which is why MD and DC got bamboozled by snow....

But just a heads up, today in SD they released that we are looking at a La Nina summer/fall which is going to dry us out good on the west coast and leave cooler water and less wind in the fall....

But look up the ol' farmer's almanac and see if this is good or bad for you... I am pretty sure the La Nina out west translates into positive surfing conditions back east...

Not sure, but regardless of the reactions, La Nina is here.... enjoy.

They always said that the surf isnt as good out west during La Ninas, but I recall some of my best winters after a la nina episode...

Images
    You mean when you lived here still, right? Golly I hope you're right!

Arrow

crosses fingers for LaNina-fed A-frames.....

Images
    La Nina is associated with an increase in Atlantic tropical storms. So, ya, now, its our turn, hopefully!

Images
    is there something going on with the low amount of rain that we are getting here in NJ? Combined with the record breaking heat we've had this june? I mean summer just started and the temps seem to show that summer has been here for 6 weeks already.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wallysurfr View Post
    is there something going on with the low amount of rain that we are getting here in NJ? Combined with the record breaking heat we've had this june? I mean summer just started and the temps seem to show that summer has been here for 6 weeks already.
    I totally agree with the lack of rain and I've got the blonding lawn to prove it. The temps are going to start normalizing in the next week though. It does kind of feel like we went from harsh winter right into harsh summer though.

Images
    yeah really I mean we're experiencing drought like conditions during a month that is normally still relatively cool and wet.

I hope the temps normalize but just looked at the forecast and the highs for the next 10 days are:

82, 89, 83, 91, 87, 82, 77, 81, 83, 84

what happened to the 73 and dry weather that I am used to this time of year? Those days are the best. I guess one benefit to all of this is the water is warmer than usual and if this continues it might get into the upper 70's by the end of august.

Tell me about the lawn I have been back and forth from my lawn to our other property trying to keep water on it to no real avail.

Images
    really, really dry month so far.

Images
    I have real time temperature monitors on my desktop for like 6 places, so everyday all year I al looking at multiple places back east...

I have A/C NJ, OC MD, VB, HATTERAS, CAROLINA BEACH on there as well as SD

AC NJ has been consistently hotter for the past few weeks than even down in CB. Usually, CB takes the heat cake, with Vb right behind it, but OC MD has been the most mild temps and coastal NJ has been reading like death valley.... So, this is out of the norm? I was starting to think NJ had its own micro climate.,....

And OC Spong: I was talking about out west... The jet stream links us all together.... The same thing that happened to MD this winter happened out west... The Pacific Northwest always has nice winter weather when the jet stream shifts down on both coasts... The NE is super nice, like this past winter and so is the NW.... It all goes hand in hand....

Its just gonna be a bad wildfire season out in the socal dessert.

And since we had El Nino this winter, that means we got a few days of rain, which mean all the vegetation grew more than normal, which means in mid july, there is going to be that much more dead brush and vegetation... So, SoCal is screwed regardless... People say we always need rain. but if we get it, it just leaves more **** to burn out in the dessert.

Images
    And i dont know if you all have been following this, but SD has been experiencing quakes everyday since easter.... Our whoe fault line is out of place and this place is like sitting on a washing machine.... Quakes from 3-6.0s everyday.... Sketchy... They say the earth out in the imperial valley shifted 2 feet south, and a bunch of crust on the earth has shifted upwards as much as 4 inches.... Creepy.