LOGIN | REGISTER

Images

Tiki Surfboard Collector???

My buddy is a body boarder (I was friends with him before I found out he was a body boarder) and he wanted to try to get into surfing. He is on vacation this week at his parents house and mentioned to his dad he was going to look at surfboards today. Anyways, his dad pulls out this board from under their house, its a Tiki Surfboard, 9'4". It is probably from the 60's judging by his dad's age. Has an old wooden fin right at the back of the board. The nose needs some repair.
    He calls me (at work still) and tells me he cleaned it off and put it in the bay behind their house and it floats well. I say wtf are you doing?! don't put it in the bay if it has holes in the fiberglass, it will absorb water! He was thinking he could go surf it!
    So I recommended that I look at it and fix it up for him, and then he puts it up on the wall. But not to surf it.
    Is that what everyone here would recommend? I've only done fiberglassing on one board, and one boat. Should i recommend that he has someone with more experience fix it? Does anyone know if Tiki is a good board? I'll try to get pictures.

Images
    no one has any advice?

why fiberglass it if your going to hang it up , and if you have no real repair experience its prob going to come out looking pretty ugly ,

Images
    I know I can fix it up better than it looks now. I'm not that bad at repairing, just didn't want to devalue it by fixing it.
    I guess i was asking more about the type of board/history. I can't find anything on the brand "Tiki Surfboards"

Images
    here, this is from a swaylocks thread:
    "There was a Tiki thread just a few days ago. It is a 60s popout. No question. Made by Pacific Plastics in Ventura, CA. Same factory made Stingray and Ten Toes popouts. I think Morey might have been involved (plug shapes)....."
    heres the thread
    http://www2.swaylocks.com/forums/tik...ds-early-1960s
    Last edited by mexsurfer; Jun 30, 2010 at 05:57 PM.

Images
    Thanks for the other thread, I'm going to follow that one and try to contact those guys. I'm going to try and take pictures of this board today or tomorrow and post sometime soon after.