LOGIN | REGISTER

Images

Brining Boards back to life

So, summer is officially here and I can no longer get away with riding my 5'10 thruster everyday any longer. I opened up the ol' patio closet this morning to check out all the old boards that i have stored in there.

I am plugging the fin box on my Longboard... half way there...

I have a couple other random ones that only need minor ding repair. An old 6'4 Peter Benjamin with Huge channels on the bottom. The thing must be like 3 inches thick at certain times.. I have some old hawaiian board this check left at my house after she snapped the nose off.... So, those are all pretty simple fixes...

The board that I used to have a lot of fun riding, doesn't really require any fixing.. It just lost its juice some how...

The board is supposedly from the east coast. A guy from Long Island NY said that it is from there... It is "NA" surfboards....

It is a 6'0x19.2 with a good size swallow tail on it. (It floats like a fish but has nice shortboard dimensions). It has a really flat entry rocker, which is why it was really fun back in the day cause it would paddle into anything.... After not using this board for a long while, I ended up painting a whole painting on the bottom. This is some heavy duty paint, because I have ridden it like 25 more times with paint all over the bottom, and although it slowed down quite a bit, it still floats and rides...

Is there any way that I can restore the bottom of this board so it may get some of its speed back. There is no zip to it with the paint on it.... I was thinking of just putting a whole coat of resin across the whole bottom and resand it down... I figure if I put a layer of glass over the art of anythiing, it will just further slow down...

Has anyone every had success restoring an older boards speed? I know that the painted bottom really takes away from the speed, but short of me just sanding all the paint off, what can I do?

I just dont have the money to buy any new boards right now with my wedding coming up, so I am trying to get creative.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    I was thinking of just putting a whole coat of resin across the whole bottom and resand it down... I figure if I put a layer of glass over the art of anythiing, it will just further slow down...
    I woudnt bother with either glass or resin over the paint. If you want to get rid of the paint sand it off, if you want to put something on top of the paint to give the bottom a smoother finish, i'd use clear coat..either the wipe-on or spray-on kind.

im not sure how any of this is gonna make the board any faster, unless you put like a pound of paint on the board or laid it on all bumpy and textured.
    Last edited by mitchell; Jun 29, 2010 at 12:16 AM.

Images
    The paint is all jagged at rough. Its like sand paper when you run your hand across it. After I painted it, it slowed down substantially. So if I used clear coat, I should probably still partially sand it down, then clear coat it, cause if I leave it textured, it will clear coat the bumps right into it again...

I guess I need to sacrifice the art for a little better performance. Its just a really cool painting =) Cause like I said, the board has no damage too it. It just slowed down cause I did a ghetto ass paint job on the bottom. And the paint is plenty thick, cause its weatherd like 30 sessions and only got minor paint chipped off.... If I remember, I used Acrylic paint, which was probably a bad choice, but it stuck on there like a mofo.