LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Surfboard Storage

Random question...

I don't have central air in my house, just a couple of window air units. I've got a window unit in my bedroom and one in my living room. My surfboard is in the 2nd bedroom - no window unit.

The way this summer has been shaping up, even in the rooms with the window units, the temp has been in the 80s in my house. The room with the boards is 83. Is it "ok" to leave the board in a room this hot as long as it's out of the sun, or should I purchase a window unit for this room?

Thanks.

Tom

you're fine...i keep mine in the living room w/ 2 windows, no a/c ( i can't stand it) & have had no problems. it's gotten well into the 90's this summer. heat doesn't really become an issue until you get into the 100's or so. just keep them out of direct sunlight.

maybe consider getting a window fan to aid circulation...just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by tbeaver View Post
    Random question...

I don't have central air in my house, just a couple of window air units. I've got a window unit in my bedroom and one in my living room. My surfboard is in the 2nd bedroom - no window unit.

The way this summer has been shaping up, even in the rooms with the window units, the temp has been in the 80s in my house. The room with the boards is 83. Is it "ok" to leave the board in a room this hot as long as it's out of the sun, or should I purchase a window unit for this room?

Thanks.

Tom
    like njsurfer said, just keep the boards facing away from a window and direct sunlight and you'll be fine.

Images
    I keep my boards in a homemade surfboard rack in board bags out side in the shady area on the back side of my house . IN the winter in the shed they go

I dont worry about anyone stealing my stuff either

1. I got a fenced in yard with a 6ft stockade fence with my dog out there most of the day

2. Everyone knows my boards and anyone that who would steal them woudnt get far cause I got people out side in my neighborhood all day

Just don't pile a lot of stuff on them. I went to a garage sale where a guy put 2 boards on top of 2 saw horses and proceeded to store some heavy stuff on top. One was an old Oceanside and the other was an old Yater. I asked about buying them but when he dug them out they were really out of shape. Shame of it was they were in really good condition but now looked like bananas.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Recycled Surfer View Post
    Just don't pile a lot of stuff on them. I went to a garage sale where a guy put 2 boards on top of 2 saw horses and proceeded to store some heavy stuff on top. One was an old Oceanside and the other was an old Yater. I asked about buying them but when he dug them out they were really out of shape. Shame of it was they were in really good condition but now looked like bananas.
    How long ago was this ??? I am looking for some old logs for the Nuns Contest. If they need repair work its not bigg deal I got time to do it

Quote Originally Posted by MATT JOHNSON View Post
    How long ago was this ??? I am looking for some old logs for the Nuns Contest. If they need repair work its not bigg deal I got time to do it
    It was last fall. The house was in Dennisville. I don't think the rocker could ever be corrected. I've never seen surfboards this bent out of shape. I guess he had stuff piled on these boards for a LONG time.

Images
    I keep my boards in a shed all year (no heating/cooling). I put a stack of paper towels under the tail, and lean them against the wall.
    Anybody know if keeping them up on their tails is okay? I havent had too many problems besides a few scratches but the towels fixed that. And is the cold in the winter in any way bad for them either? It gets to be freezing in there sometimes. (I can always move them inside for the offseason)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ND081 View Post
    I keep my boards in a shed all year (no heating/cooling). I put a stack of paper towels under the tail, and lean them against the wall.
    Anybody know if keeping them up on their tails is okay? I havent had too many problems besides a few scratches but the towels fixed that. And is the cold in the winter in any way bad for them either? It gets to be freezing in there sometimes. (I can always move them inside for the offseason)

the only way the cold would hurt them is if there was water in the board from a ding and it froze in there

Be extra careful if you have an EPS/Epoxy board. They are especially vulnerable to the sun and heat. An epoxy board can get delam bubbles if you leave it in the sun for like 5 minutes.