LOGIN | REGISTER

Thread: Shark Encounter

Threaded View

Shark Encounter

After a long time away from surfing, I started again last year with my 15 year old son, and we've been having a blast. I was lucky to find Swell Info as we live 40 minuets from the coast and the swell reports are great. Today I have a story to share.
    We got to Lavallette at about 5;30 this morning, and a fisherman let us know that he
    had seen something large in the surf, but was unsure of what it was. We have been seeing lots of Dolphin over the last few months, so figured it for a Dolphin.
    We were in the water for over an hour and the same fisherman kept waving his arms and pointing. I would look, unfortunately almost into the sun, didn't see anything, figured it for a Dolphin and kept surfing the best waves we've seen in weeks.
    Finally I heard my son and his friend scream and head for shore in quite a hurry, just as they have done in the last couple of months when Dolphin have come close to us, so I figured it for a Dolphin.
    After another ride I noticed my son, his friend, and the fisherman jumping up
    and down on the beach and pointing to my right. I squinted into the sun and saw, about
    20 yards away, a fairly large gray dorsal, followed by the gray tail-fin with a black tip going slowly
    side to side...a Shark.
    As I started to paddle in it circled around between me and the beach, and came up my
    left side about 8' away heading in the opposite direction and I got a close look at a 6-7'
    shark with a black tipped tail.
    After making it in, the fisherman said that earlier he saw the shark head right for me, go under me, and then resurface on the other side, and I never saw a thing.
    Afterward I suggested to the boys that we head down the coast to Seaside and try it there, but they were having none of that, I hope I can get them back in the water tomorrow.
    Last edited by 21Brien; Jul 15, 2010 at 11:31 PM.