LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shark Encounter

Shark Encounter

After a long time away from surfing, I started again last year with my 15 year old son, and we've been having a blast. I was lucky to find Swell Info as we live 40 minuets from the coast and the swell reports are great. Today I have a story to share.
    We got to Lavallette at about 5;30 this morning, and a fisherman let us know that he
    had seen something large in the surf, but was unsure of what it was. We have been seeing lots of Dolphin over the last few months, so figured it for a Dolphin.
    We were in the water for over an hour and the same fisherman kept waving his arms and pointing. I would look, unfortunately almost into the sun, didn't see anything, figured it for a Dolphin and kept surfing the best waves we've seen in weeks.
    Finally I heard my son and his friend scream and head for shore in quite a hurry, just as they have done in the last couple of months when Dolphin have come close to us, so I figured it for a Dolphin.
    After another ride I noticed my son, his friend, and the fisherman jumping up
    and down on the beach and pointing to my right. I squinted into the sun and saw, about
    20 yards away, a fairly large gray dorsal, followed by the gray tail-fin with a black tip going slowly
    side to side...a Shark.
    As I started to paddle in it circled around between me and the beach, and came up my
    left side about 8' away heading in the opposite direction and I got a close look at a 6-7'
    shark with a black tipped tail.
    After making it in, the fisherman said that earlier he saw the shark head right for me, go under me, and then resurface on the other side, and I never saw a thing.
    Afterward I suggested to the boys that we head down the coast to Seaside and try it there, but they were having none of that, I hope I can get them back in the water tomorrow.
    Last edited by 21Brien; Jul 15, 2010 at 11:31 PM.

Good Idea

This story is the best way to reduce the crowded line-up's.

CORRECTION: A shark was spotted in Seaside!
    Last edited by Schwazo; Jul 10, 2010 at 08:22 PM.

Images
    Wow. Nice story. I would chalk that up to good kharma. He was just checking you out. If you were in any real danger, he would have taken a nice chunk out of you and your board, rather than checking you out. At least its a shark story with a happy ending. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing positive about encountering sharks in the ocean, but you have witnessed something that most of the world will never come close to. Another kink in the armor.

Pretty cool story.Its a very humbling experience.Although shark attacks are rare in this area you never know.Its hard to believe that the idea of jaws actually came from N.J..Glad you made it a shore.

Whoa, quite the story to tell. Hope you can get your boys back out in the water. Glad to hear the happy ending, always a plus.

I wanna call BS on this. Seriously, he joined the site today, I was a few blocks down from Lavalette at 6 in the morning and saw nothing like this.

BS?

I'm fifty years old, and don't need to BS a bunch of guys on a forum.
    Believe what you like.
    Last edited by 21Brien; Jul 15, 2010 at 11:32 PM.

I believe him. If hes making it up hes a fuc**** ass****!

hoax-us-poke-us

i haven't posted on this forum in a long time, due to the lack of credibility of many of the users, but why would anyone bother to make this up? if you havent had a shark encounter on the east coast, well, you don't get out that often... seeing a black tip is "less" likely than other species around here, but they're here. personally, i'd be more worried about bulls and tigers (sharks, that is) as they are far more aggressive and more adaptive to our coastal conditions. if you are worried about sharks, dont surf... crowds and waves be damned, right?. i'd rather focus on september and october and the overall atlantic sea temps... just wondering, why the capital "D" in dolphin? are they truly our overlords???
    Last edited by chubbyG; Jul 10, 2010 at 11:12 PM. Reason: capital D

Today at my local a fin kept popping up here and there. I heard it was a "shark," a "dolphin," and a "whale." When I finally got a good look at it myself, I ruled out shark and dolphin. It actually may have been a juvenile whale... arched back like a dolphin, but the dorsal was curved like a a boomerang. Never saw anything like it, but I'm pretty sure it was neither a dolphin nor a shark. My guess would be Minke whale... 16-18 ft in length, only about 50 yards off the end of a jetty. Moved slower than a dolphin, and a bit bigger. Too much rake to the fin to be a dolphin.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Jul 10, 2010 at 11:47 PM.