LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 103
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    CAPE MAY ,NJ
    Posts
    2,894
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb2056 View Post
    That makes no sense. You can sponge where you want as long as you don't have fins? I could see not letting people go out far if they don't have fins on, but that doesn't make any sense. Sponges don't bother anyone as far as danger goes. Surfboards are dangerous and I can't imagine why you'd want to be where the surfers are in the first place. Almost got hit a surfer the other day. The surfers area are crowded enough. Let them be alone. Go to the rest of beach and have a blast with no crowds of dangerous flying surfboards, unless of course it's a point break and that's where the shoulder of the wave is and it's no good elsewhere, but I think your talking about a sand break, right? I'm not familiar with the area.
    I dont know I dont make the rules thats just how they do it . I know if you are not in the surfing beach and you go out far they do blow the whisle at you to come back in closer

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    396
    With all due respect, you were wrong. The law existed and you knew about it. Your statement of the zones changing all the time is further evidence of your level of understanding. The bottom line is you chose to go out in the water without knowing that day's designated areas, as well as failed to maintain situational awareneness.

    Disputing this, based the reasons you provided, is the equivelent of fighting a traffic ticket for running a newly emplaced red light because you were daydreaming and the policemen wasn't nice. There's a way to dispute laws we feel are unrealistic. Breaking them and expecting leaniency because the enforcing authority wasn't polite is not that way.

    That being said, however, I do think it's a ridiculous fine and I hope you don't have to pay it. Personally, I'd tell the judge I lost situational awareness because of the zone change and leave all of the conflict with authority stuff out of it. IMHO, bringing that stuff up may leave the impression that you are nothing more than a whiner that has a problem with authority. That impression usually provides negative results.

    But hey...do whatever. Post the results, though. I'm interested in how it turns out.
    Last edited by Ray F.; Jul 17, 2010 at 04:30 AM.

  3. #33
    it took the lifeguards to get you out?.. if i saw a sponger further adding to the crowd of a surfing beach i would help the lifeguards for once.. they are dumb but atleast give surfers a little room you have 123 other streets you can get sponge nasty at

  4. #34
    The current must have been ripping pretty hard down the beach. I don't know about you guys, but I generally am aware that I am floating into oblivion. Particularly if I were to go four blocks. Have fun being $50 poorer.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    bolsa chica SB, Huntington Beach,CA
    Posts
    319
    Images
    1

    what do you mean i'm off topic...?

    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    ditto.


    & just b/c you don't like something doesn't make it "gay". as i tell my students, "gay" is not a synonym for "stupid".

    for good or ill, language is what the users make of it, and "gay" is transforming into "uncool" and "lame" through common usage. imagine how "happy" people from the 30's and 40's felt by the late 60's and early 70's....it's like trying to stop the tide, but i do appreciate those who try to keep the traditional alive.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    RVA
    Posts
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb2056 View Post
    That makes no sense. You can sponge where you want as long as you don't have fins? I could see not letting people go out far if they don't have fins on, but that doesn't make any sense. Sponges don't bother anyone as far as danger goes. Surfboards are dangerous and I can't imagine why you'd want to be where the surfers are in the first place. Almost got hit a surfer the other day. The surfers area are crowded enough. Let them be alone. Go to the rest of beach and have a blast with no crowds of dangerous flying surfboards, unless of course it's a point break and that's where the shoulder of the wave is and it's no good elsewhere, but I think your talking about a sand break, right? I'm not familiar with the area.
    hahahahahahaha kook.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hilton Head Island - OB, SD
    Posts
    3,388
    Images
    26
    So, now that the third guard explained himself, it sounds like they had valid reason to confront you, but the term "authoritative" or threatening is waaaaay out of line for a Sergant to be doing. Correct me if I am wrong, but the lifeguards have ZERO actual juristiction over humans in the water. If people do not listen to them, don't they have to call the actual police, to come down to the beach, wait for the guy to get out, then ticket or arrest him. If ANY guard, Sergant or not came up and "threatened" me, or even thought about touching me, I would take you to court right away.

    Bottom line is that we "SHOULD" listen to you so we don't get fined, but if we dont, you can't just come paddle out and grab us. Then you will get sued, because you are breaking the law... So an "authorititive threats" from a guard were empty and weak. They can write you a fine, but they can't touch you. Even in the water.

    I mean technically, if those guys injure someone during a water rescue they can get sued. So, im not hating on the Guard or BP. They are a much needed organization for summers in the mid atlantic, but please please please gentlemen, don't get yourself confused with the OC PD or the swat team. You are a "LIFEGAURD". You really have no business be agro with ANYONE. It is afterall, YOUR JOB... You can'y get angry at people all summer. As BP, you know that the masses are ignorant and blind. So, just deal with it. its your job.

    Im not saying that the guy who paddled out and asked him to come talk to the cops was wrong at all. You my friend were doing your job. But the agro guy that tried to threaten him physically is a weak clown, who in reality can't touch anyone. So, if you want to be a tough guy, be a cop, or a bouncer. lifeguards are neither of the two.

  8. #38

    i am sending you kiss!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by bb.rider View Post
    long story short:

    i paddled out at 44th street at about 4 pm wednesday night. oblivious to the world, i carved up some waves on my sponge, and ended up drifting up to 48th street.

    since i didnt paddle out there, i didnt know that it was the surfing beach that day. maybe 10 guys out and everybody was pretty spread out. it was probably 4:45 when this kid paddles his surfboard over to me and tells me to get out and go somewhere else. he was a lifeguard but i did not know that at the time, because he never identified himself as one. i thought he was just some d-bag breaking my balls because i was riding a sponge. i paid him no mind.

    10 minutes later, a different guy swims right up to me. in a very hostile voice he asks me if i want to do this the hard way. he basically swam out to provoke me. i answered his brutality with my own brutality. he swam in and called the cops. he never once said he was a lifeguard.

    i rode waves for another half hour while the guard and cops were waiting for me. after catching one close to the inside another lifeguard came and told me i should come talk to the cops. he was respectful but even he didnt identify himself as a guard.

    so i got a $50 ticket for disobeying a lifeguards orders. i am sure that i will get off when i go to court.

    this is not about spongers vs surfers. i have been living here for 14 years and can get along with anybody.

    lifeguards need to show some respect for the guys that are out in the water the other 9 months of the year when the beaches go unguarded. if you have an issue with us, you need to identify yourselves as lifeguards. we are not used to you being there. dont assume we know who you are.

    show respect and you will get respect.
    Your a moron. Go to court and fight what? These guards save hundreds of lives every day in OC. Your lucky if the judge doesn't double your fine and b!t3H slap the H3ll out of you after you say, "I've been surfing this beach in the summer for 14 years and I'm 18 and they didn't idenitify them selves and I didn't know what was going on and I drifted from north to south on a south swell???"

    Judges remark, "What are you stupid and blind?" After 14 years, it should be easy to identify 3 things. 1. A lifeguard. 2. A surf beach (Big red stands.) 3. That you should be working instead of boogie boarding to pay off your $50 fine!

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Fenwick Island
    Posts
    8
    OB you took the words right out of my mouth,too funny,well put.

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by MATT JOHNSON View Post
    I dont know I dont make the rules thats just how they do it . I know if you are not in the surfing beach and you go out far they do blow the whisle at you to come back in closer
    Yeah they do the same thing at one of the beaks I go to. It's so annoying, but nothing I can do. If there's any type of swell at all,(Even waist high) they put in place knee deep restriction. Then they start blowing the whistle at you if you go out to where the waves are breaking. Then you have to go to an area where everyone(surfer's/swimmers/bbder's) are allowed at a different beach a little walk down the beach. The waves are actually better at this spot at least, but that's how I almost got hit by a surfer. Everyone is packed in tight. I figure the lifeguards could use some common sense and see if the bodyboarder knows what he's doing and then blow the whistle at some little kid for his own safety, but let a grown adult who knows how to duckdive a wave and has fins go farther out. The other break I go to actually does this so that's good at least.