LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 103
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,067
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Jersey42: So, since it you have had some experience, please explain this to me. I am honestly just asking out of curiousity.

    If you were a guard, on duty, and an individual in the water had an argument with you. They did not swing at you, or physically threaten you, are you legally as a lifeguard or BP agent allowed to touch the citizen? Like, try and drag them in, or put them in a the life saving neck lock and paddle them in. You can't touch them right? Unless they are in distress?

    I understand that, if during a water rescue, the victim is flailing or feraking out, that you might need to apply pyshical pressure to subdue them....

    And if some drunk attacks you, you are defending yourself, legally since you are being attacked.

    But if some guy tells you to f*** off and to go eat your can, you really can't touch him right? You would legally have to paddle back in, call the cops and let them rough him up when he gets in? Right?

    Im just saying, that unless your physcal wellbeing is in jeopardy, then you cannot get physical in any way shape or form with a swimmer...

    Am I correct in that assumption?
    exactly.

    i would be getting my superior involved. the average guard on the stand has no place getting the police involved as the immediate next step.
    if my superiors want to bring the cops into it, that's there call, not mine.

    but as i understand the law, even cops can't lay a hand on you just b/c you tell them to f--k off, either. sure, they can slap you w/ a citation or arrest you, but they can't strike you. that would be assault, no matter what uniform you wear.


    then again, if the situation is far enough out in the water so that someone watching from shore would have trouble judging what was happening, the guard could "force" the situation, causing the offending person to be in distress. then drag his limp, unconscious body to shore. "i dunno, sir. he was yelling at me, then he just passed out."

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by bb.rider View Post
    yea, im not a lifeguard, so how the f*** would i know that? you should write a book about it smart guy.

    and if you are implying that nobody got out of line on your watch because you would have hit them with a metal "can" while they were in the water.........

    this is the attitude that i am taking a stand against.
    I've read his posts and don't believe he was eluding to hitting anyone with anything. He's stating the can helps to identify you as a lifeguard. For what it's worth, I've never been a lifeguard, but I comprehend what he was saying.

    I'm starting to believe, by your tone on these posts, that the hostility may not have been all on the lifeguards' part. Is it possible that you were embarrassed about being confronted and reacted irrationally?.

  3. #63
    Ignorance to the law is not legal justification for breaking it.

    I understand you positioning and why you are defending yourself. But if you park in a no parking area and get a ticket, you cant say well i didn't know it was a no parking zone regardless if the person writing the ticket id's them self as a law enforcement officer.

    Still think he should of taken a torp. though.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In a state of flux
    Posts
    3,084
    after reading through this I can't understand why the surf beach guards didn't swim out and tell you to GTF out of the water? It's been a while since I've been to a surf beach in OCMD but i recall they constantly whistle so it's easy to tune that out. their reaction sounds too much like an authority trip to me. thankfully in jerz most surf beaches actually have guards on boards or in boats IN THE LINE UP so this type of thing wouldn't happen,

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    CAPE MAY ,NJ
    Posts
    2,894
    Images
    5
    I can understand if you didnt hear them whistling at you . I know the guards at the surfing beach I go to are on them every 3 seconds getting people swiming or on a Sponge without fins out of the surfing beach . After 20mins of hearing it I dont even notice it.

    I think you should pay the fine move on and use this as a learning experience. Most life guards are kool if you are kool to them . The ones at the surfing beach in NwW are pretty cool and if they know you they tend to give you a little bit more slack depending on how busy the beach is that day

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    I was not questioning your "authority". I mean, if you tell the cops someone did something, they write them a ticket.

    I was saying that, and correct me if im wrong, that you can "enforce" whatever you want, but you CANNOT TOUCH ME while doing it. If you paddle up to someone and try and physically remove them from the lineup, you are putting your life at risk, and potentially drowning them... So, my logic would tell me that in fact, you guys can paddle up and say whatever you want, but you CANNOT in any way shape or form get physical, or YOU will end up in jail.

    Im not saying its right, but technically, if you make the call that some kid may drown, you go out and save him, on the way in, his neck gets bruised for the way you were holding him, then bam, technially they could sue you. I mean, its not right... But thats life...

    If you don't have a police badge, you can't get physical wish anyone. Thats all Im saying...

    Am I right in saying that... And please, let me remind you, I am not some anit-lifeguard d-bag. Im just stating facts...

    I love my local lifeguards, but I have been cited by them before. They wrote my girlfriend a "leashless dog" ticket because she was holding our 6 pound black lab puppy in the parking lot while I was surfing. She had to stick around, because she couldn't tell me what happened cause I was surfing, so these a-hole lifeguards kept messing with her, telling her that the parking lot was part of the beach... Long story short, she was rude with them, got aa ticket... When I got out of the water, I made an absolute scene. I had like 20 lifeguards all trying to explain to me why they did it. They kept saying if she wasn't rude about it, then we wouldn't have done it.... But i cussed them out, told them they were on fake power trips and that they wrote a ticket for a 6 pounds puppy... all while pointing to the puppy in question and asking them, Do you feel like men now? Big tough guys. A week or so later, I was out surfing with one of the guys and we had a nice moment and made up, but I was like seriously dude, you wrote my girl a puppy ticket for standing holding a puppy while im surfing. Thats some weak sauce...

    Took it to court and beat it anyway. The parking lot was NOT part of the area that was off limits, so THEY were wrong all together... Sorry for the rant.

    So, other than that, I got nothing but love for all my lifegaurds....

    word 'bro' / 'word' bro

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    ocean view
    Posts
    60
    Images
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray F. View Post
    I've read his posts and don't believe he was eluding to hitting anyone with anything. He's stating the can helps to identify you as a lifeguard. For what it's worth, I've never been a lifeguard, but I comprehend what he was saying.

    I'm starting to believe, by your tone on these posts, that the hostility may not have been all on the lifeguards' part. Is it possible that you were embarrassed about being confronted and reacted irrationally?.
    yea, i totally misunderstood him. sorry njsurfer. i am taking my foot out of my mouth now.

    i never watched baywatch and i have never been a lifeguard. so sure, there are lots of things i don't know about it. it doesn't make me stupid. i am a plumber. how many of you know anything about plumbing?

    i don't have any hostility towards lifeguards. if i saw sgt. jackass out somewhere i would probably buy him a beer. i'm just saying, he pissed me off that night. i feel he was out of line. the last thing a guard needs to bring to the water is aggression
    Last edited by bb.rider; Jul 18, 2010 at 11:43 PM.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    CAPE MAY ,NJ
    Posts
    2,894
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by bb.rider View Post
    i am a plumber. how many of you know anything about plumbing?

    Yeah it keeps me from ****ing outside and not going to the river twice a day for water.

  9. #69

    whatch your self chrissy!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Joyner View Post
    Must have been an ego trip since they had the life guard comp that day down the beach. I watched some tools paddle out on surf boards at 36th street and nothing happened to them except a few faces plants followed by a whistle to get out.

    I think they should have identified themselves but you must also be aware of what surrounds you.
    hey chrissy, i was at the comp all day and not one guard paddled out to surf. there were guards who were competing on paddle boards so they may have warmed up on their boards. but 10'6" with 6" rails is not my standard pick for surfing.

    and most of the guards didn't know there was even a comp going on. 95% of guards care less about comps. and the comp was on 21st street. not 35th. so what was your point anyway?

  10. #70
    Never knew a headquarters could be "gay." This is Jersey we are talking about right? I mean you know the deal, and if you don't then you should ask somebody...

    Fork the 50 over with a smile

    http://seasandsurf.com