LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Low Tide/ High Tide

Okay.. so I'm new to surfing and only surf when I'm down during the summer since its kinda hard to surf in KY. Anyways, today I was out around 7pm and one min it was head deep then the next it would be knee deep. Stupid me broke two fins, and I regret even staying out. What would make the ocean depth do that.. is it due to low or high tide? I'll chalk this up as a lesson learner. BTW, my user name says notjamee.. and that is not me and it wont let me log into my own account.

Images
    yes, the tide changes will influence the depth of water where you are surfing.

as for your username... i'm not sure what the issue is - what is your actual username?
    You should log out of the current account, and then if need be, use this form to reset your password:
    http://www.swellinfo.com/forum/login.php?do=lostpw

3. Thanks, I'll try to reset it.. I honestly don't know. I just logged in through my FB and I tried that today and I don't know why this screen name appeared and I tried logging back out and in but it did not work.

As for me, I was stupid. I guess the reason the tides were so bad was because I went out at 7PM exactly during low tide. I'm a noob so I'll learn as I grow.. too bad two fins did not survive today.

a good rule of thumb is when you see the wave infront of you starting to turn brown you are entering a shallow section. the wave turns brown from churning up sand from the bottom.

at least it was just your fins and not your fin boxes... unless it was your fin boxes. fins are an easy fix, fin boxes, not so much.

also it sounds like you might have been on the inside, catching waves in the shallow water. this is a no-no for a couple reasons: 1. you have a pretty good chance of damaging you board if you ride in shallow water (hitting bottom). 2. other surfers will get pissed that you are on the inside, sitting right in their path. this will also lead to you board getting damaged from being run over. next time try heading out into deeper water where you see all the other surfers sitting. i was out at low tide yesterday and was nowhere near hitting the bottom with my board.

It all depends on the break. First golden rule is not to surf a shore break. You may see other experienced surfers surfing shore breaks but you could mess yourself up bad if you don't know what you are doing.

Beach breaks vary as to how they respond to the tide. A very shallow beach break will more likely close out at low tide which would be harder for an inexperienced surfer. A deep beach break may stop breaking at high tide and would therefore be better at low tide. Since deep beach breaks do not always break, at high tide the wave continues until it gets to the shore line and then you have a big shore break. The size of the swell also matters. On big days, the waves will be breaking on the deep and shallow breaks at high tide but will be dumping (closing out) more on the shallower breaks.

You need to scout out your break before paddling out. I would stay away from crowds initially even if they are surfing the best breaks. Even if you have read the surfing code of ethics it takes a while to instinctively practice it. Next looking for spilling waves and not dumping waves. An A frame wave with a left and right shoulder is ideal.

That was the short and simple answer. The link below sends you to a more elaborate one. Have fun and be safe!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6144900AA6T16i

WB: C-street and Mase and Sweetwater and all sorts of chill places around WB. Its rad.
    Quote Originally Posted by notjamee View Post
    Okay.. so I'm new to surfing and only surf when I'm down during the summer since its kinda hard to surf in KY. Anyways, today I was out around 7pm and one min it was head deep then the next it would be knee deep. Stupid me broke two fins, and I regret even staying out. What would make the ocean depth do that.. is it due to low or high tide? I'll chalk this up as a lesson learner. BTW, my user name says notjamee.. and that is not me and it wont let me log into my own account.
    Kook

Quote Originally Posted by conway View Post
    Kook
    Agreed

8. Quote Originally Posted by conway View Post
    Kook
    Yes, I am a Kook! Is it bad to try and learn how to surf? BTW, there were no other surfers there. There are rarely any surfers there which is why I go there. I'm learning, and I guess some people have something against beginners, even though in one point in time everyone was a "kook". I'd understand if some experienced surfer was out having fun and I came out to ruin it which is why I stay out of their way

Take it easy

Man, notjamee...
    Don't worry about what anyone says. You are new to the sport and simply were asking questions. I guess all these johnny rippers just jumped on their boards and were spitting images of Mitch Coleborn. The sandbars constantly change at every beach and will not be consistently even down the beach. One spot you could be in chest deep water, and then just a ways down could be thigh deep. The tides affect everything about how waves break as does the ocean bottom and it's slope. Definitely a lesson learned, but broken fins are better than broken fin boxes.....Good luck man. Sounds like you are respectful in the water, and that right there is a very good thing...for a beginner or a seasoned pro!

Images
    hey conway and wbluke,

it takes REAL MEN to take pot-shots at a beginner anonymously on the net.

You were beginners once too.

You both look like a couple of little *****es right now.

I'm laughing at you as I type.