LOGIN | REGISTER

Longboard or SUP

Hi folks. New member here. Thanks for having me.

I used to mess around with a funshape 15 years ago but I always wanted a longboard.

What I'm looking for is something to surf in a variety of conditions in/around Seaside Heights, NJ. I'm 6'2", 215 lbs, and quickly approaching 40 years old. With so many years removed from surfing, I'm considering myself a beginner.

I'd like something easy to paddle and catch waves with. Very laid back. Just out to have some fun and get back in shape.

I know the correct answer is a resounding "both" , but with budgets the way they are these days which way should I go if I can only choose one for now? Longboard or SUP?

Also, any recommendations for brands/models to consider or avoid?

Note -- storage and transportation is taken care of and will not be a factor in the decision.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I guess the question is what do you want to do. Surf or SUP. While SUP's ride waves its a whole different ball game. I've tried SUP and like it quite a bit but its definitely not like traditional surfing.
    I would get a used longboard 9'6" - 10.0' and get back in that way.

Images
    I would go with a longboard. Since you said you are just starting up surfing again. Sup have a learning curve of there own and they require lost of balance so I would just get a Longboard for now . Far as brands and Size Well that depends on your budget. You can get a used beater for 500 dollars to a one off Cooperfish for 2,000

anything 9'6- 10'0 will due you fine something with a Single Fin 10.5 inches in size to ensure even on the smallest of days you will get waves

Also I dont know where u are from but there are plenty of talented shapers on the eastcoast who can craft some awsome logs

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MATT JOHNSON View Post
    anything 9'6- 10'0 will due you fine something with a Single Fin 10.5 inches in size to ensure even on the smallest of days you will get waves
    Amen! F*ck SUPing!

Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post

Also, any recommendations for brands/models to consider or avoid?

don't fall into the popout trap...just b/c it's cheap, doesn't mean it's good! a lot of older folks returning to surfing or just taking it up fall into the mindset of, "well, it's cheaper & more durable, so it must be better." no. they're not. esp. in regards to longboards, anything made my surftech or boardworks is nothing more than a glorified pool toy.
    so my advice would be to get something hand-made, preferably by a local shaper. there are all kinds of good ones hiding around central & southern nj that can build you a kick-ass log in next to no time for around the same amount of $$$ as you'd pay for an off the rack popout. your local surfshop can give you the info to get in touch w/ one or even order it right there in the shop.

Get the one that will less likely kill someone when you fall off or bail your board. Beginners on SUPs = worst thing ever.

Thanks for all the info folks.

I'm going with a longboard. The SUP sounds intriguing, but the more I look into them the more I'm leaning towards a longboard. It's what I always wanted.

Now to narrow down which longboard. Will start a new thread to get specifics.

Thanks again!