LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Newbies in the lineup

When your in the lineup with newbies,do you find yourself a little more agressive in taken your share of waves or do you treat them with the same respect as someone who shreds?
    Last edited by GoodVibes; Jul 19, 2010 at 11:29 PM.

Do I become a crazy agro surfer brah? No.... Do I take more waves than normal? Yes, definitely yes.

I supposed one must make some distinctions. For one, there is a difference between a kook and a newbie. A kook has zero respect for etiquette and creates dangerous situations. So in that case I have no problem taking more waves. A newbie who is respectful, follows the rules and is safe should be allowed their share of waves (of course not at the first peak or the sets), but I'm not going to snake a new surfer because he or she is just trying to learn. We were all there at one point. Nor do I think it is fair for "established surfers," to rip on new surfers just because they are learning. Those people are straight up kooks and should have no place in the lineup.

Images
    No aggression at all. I actually smile when I see anyone out flopping around having a good time. But in the summer, if you are a good surfer, your surfing speaks for you. No words needed, no aggression. The first time they see you take off 200 yards down the line, then as they are dropping in, they see that you are approaching them at mach speed, then you do a big change of direction under the lip, fanning them as you cut back.... Pretty much after that, everyone down the line will be well aware of where you are and if you are taking off of not. Now, if they are blatenly dropping in and not paying attention, maybe a little reminder... And I don't even get pissed is someone unintentially drops in way down the line. I hoot at them, and pop out at the last second, getting just close enough, that even a non-surfer understands that they just ruined your wave. No words needed.

People with normal human instinct get it. Its always they guys that arent very good that are out there yelling and getting agro. Running their mouths.

But yes, you always get a ton more waves when its the newbies out. Its just a numbers game. No newbie is going to sit deep in the lineup, taking off trying to back door the barrel, so really it is not rude at all to paddle right past them everytime. Because we all know that newbies who are over hawking the shoulder are always out of poisition. And the rules of surfing dictate that if you are not a moving member of the lineup who is moving into position as other guys take off, you are forefitting every wave that the guys deeper are taking off on....
    Last edited by zach619; Jul 20, 2010 at 03:22 AM.

Well stated Jettyface and Zach...couldn;t have said it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Surferdann View Post
    Well stated Jettyface and Zach...couldn;t have said it better.
    x2

Personally, I tend to adjust my attitude around the way the lineup behaves, regardless of skill level. I think most people do.

im way more aggressive when the lineup is filled with good people than any other time. typically if its pumping newbies can't make it out anyway so its hard to get pissed off at them when they mess up your waist high wave of the day. i prefer to find the more uncrowded spaces but when a kooker is in the water they are usually going straight with blinders on so i try to sit on the side of them where i wont be cut off although avoidance is preferable. if they arent going down the line or i give them a nice set wave or two and they mess it up i usually yield little caution to dropping in/snaking them. i also freak out when i take a wave and turn to paddle out to find the kookermonger flopping his way straight towards me and or bailing his/her board when im close. i usually say something then. if you surf well. people will see and they will get out of your way. if your in a situation where the majority is good. you really have to fight for position and be super agro to get the waves...i hate that. so no..i dont find myself getting aggressive when kooks are in the water...its usually a small summer day anyway.

There's this guy who looks to be in his mid 40's who shows up at the beach I surf in Lavallette about 4 or 5 times every summer. If the conditions are good I'm out scouting around for a good bar, but if it's just average I'll walk up the street to this beach. Anyway, the guy always shows up with his 2 kids. He rides a pop-out Canyon, but I've never noticed what the kids ride. If I'm out alone, which usually I'm the first one out, he will paddle out with his kids right on me. There's usually about 4 football fields of empty peaks and beach, but he must follow that sheep mentality. Then he will attempt to paddle to my inside to get priority and never waits his turn. Then he will yell and hoot his kids into waves where I obviously have priority. Now it's really not the kids fault that they have douche bag father who is not polite and has no concept of etiquette. They are out there having fun. So I usually let them go and I'm happy for them that they got a good ride. I'll just take the next wave in the set. But the father, I'll burn him and drop in on him if I have to. He acts like he's some hot sh!t on a pop-out because he catching all the 2ft waves on longboard day when everyone should just be spreading stoke. So that right there is the perfect example of the difference between a newbie and kook and how to treat them both. Unfortunately one day those kids will probably grow up to be like their father. Hopefully they don't.

Yea I can't stand guys like that. They sit way outside on their funboards or longboards and surf right at you then paddle out past you again and repeat the process, when in reality they would be just fine sitting in the lineup with the rest of us.

Give the newbies set waves once in a while. They'll respect you forever. A local kid who surfs very well said to me, when he was about 16, "there's more to being a good surfer than just surfing good." Wisdom beyond his years. Being a good surfer is about helping the kids learn the skills, etiquette, and social norms of how to behave in the water. Newbies need these "good surfers" to guide and inspire them. And sometimes correct them if they're wrong.

Kooks need to be handled differently, and this is another way experienced surfers can help everybody, including the newbies, out, which is by letting them see how kooks get treated.