LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rDJ View Post
    Now it's really not the kids fault that they have douche bag father who is not polite and has no concept of etiquette.
    DBD's! Nobody likes a DBD, especially if he's on a SUP

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    No aggression at all. I actually smile when I see anyone out flopping around having a good time. But in the summer, if you are a good surfer, your surfing speaks for you. No words needed, no aggression. The first time they see you take off 200 yards down the line, then as they are dropping in, they see that you are approaching them at mach speed, then you do a big change of direction under the lip, fanning them as you cut back.... Pretty much after that, everyone down the line will be well aware of where you are and if you are taking off of not. Now, if they are blatenly dropping in and not paying attention, maybe a little reminder... And I don't even get pissed is someone unintentially drops in way down the line. I hoot at them, and pop out at the last second, getting just close enough, that even a non-surfer understands that they just ruined your wave. No words needed.

People with normal human instinct get it. Its always they guys that arent very good that are out there yelling and getting agro. Running their mouths.

But yes, you always get a ton more waves when its the newbies out. Its just a numbers game. No newbie is going to sit deep in the lineup, taking off trying to back door the barrel, so really it is not rude at all to paddle right past them everytime. Because we all know that newbies who are over hawking the shoulder are always out of poisition. And the rules of surfing dictate that if you are not a moving member of the lineup who is moving into position as other guys take off, you are forefitting every wave that the guys deeper are taking off on....
    200 yards down the line? You must be talking about Cali conditions bro... In the summer w/ no storm swell we are happy when we get a 30 yard ride round here.

Images
    Put "The Sit Test" into effect at your local break next time you're out. If the guy can't sit on the board while waiting for a wave I will drop in on him knowing he is 1 not going to catch the wave or 2 fall immediately on take off or 3 if he takes off only going to ride the wave straight in anyway.

If he can sit, and he's got the inside but takes off on three waves and blows it on all three (either doesn't take off or falls during take off) then he gets paddled around and/or dropped in on and can't be trusted to make the most of the wave.

* The statments above assume that the waves are rideable (over 2'). I don't care if I get dropped in on in knee high conditions. It's not like I was gonna be able to do anything anyway...

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by ECsponger View Post
    DBD's! Nobody likes a DBD, especially if he's on a SUP
    You think sup's are bad.A few weeks ago we had a Kayack in the lineup.

I try to stay away from these blogs as its mostly haters out there...BUT, I am surprised how brave (translate irresponsible) newer surfers are on bigger swell days like the one we had other weekend in Monmouth County and are bothered for their...and my wellbeing as they flop around the white water 50 yards in front of meóit kind of makes for bum ride knowing that there are potential speed bumps out there. When I was a new surfer, I would sit on the beach and watch the big boys surf but I guess everyone feels "entitled" these days...
    If a newer surfer is reading this, respect the ocean, be smart and know your boundaries--donít endanger yourself and others.

i have way more problems with experienced longboarders than i do newbies. Newbies are generally clueless and innocent...they typically wont take off deep, cant read waves and cant paddle very fast to set themselves up at the peak.

Experienced longboarders, on the other hand are driving me nuts the last couple weeks. Just because you CAN sprint paddle 20 yards to intercept a peak thats coming right at me, and catch it further outside than i can on my shortboard, doesnt mean you SHOULD.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    Just because you CAN sprint paddle 20 yards to intercept a peak thats coming right at me, and catch it further outside than i can on my shortboard, doesnt mean you SHOULD.
    That is just bad F'n manners, and you have a moral obligation to address that in whichever way you feel is appropriate and effective. But before it gets to that, you better be chasing down that peak, too. He may be thinking you don't want it, or just don't care, and is taking advantage of your inaction. If you paddle out further, to get it at the peak, and he's racing you for the wave, he's just being a pr!ck.

Having surfed in this area most of my life and many other locations, I just enjoy getting wet! Do I get irritated with newbie's, No, but I can with kooks, but I just shake my head in wonder, smile and continue to shred! The best thing is when I get to have a session with both my boys and some friends. Aloha

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wallysurfr View Post
    Put "The Sit Test" into effect at your local break next time you're out. If the guy can't sit on the board while waiting for a wave I will drop in on him knowing he is 1 not going to catch the wave or 2 fall immediately on take off or 3 if he takes off only going to ride the wave straight in anyway.

If he can sit, and he's got the inside but takes off on three waves and blows it on all three (either doesn't take off or falls during take off) then he gets paddled around and/or dropped in on and can't be trusted to make the most of the wave.

* The statments above assume that the waves are rideable (over 2'). I don't care if I get dropped in on in knee high conditions. It's not like I was gonna be able to do anything anyway...
    Yeah thats what I see alot and it people standing in waist high water on the inside dropin in behind me as I go by them . They think cause I go by them and they are in the foam they can seak past me or something?

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    i have way more problems with experienced longboarders than i do newbies. Newbies are generally clueless and innocent...they typically wont take off deep, cant read waves and cant paddle very fast to set themselves up at the peak.

Experienced longboarders, on the other hand are driving me nuts the last couple weeks. Just because you CAN sprint paddle 20 yards to intercept a peak thats coming right at me, and catch it further outside than i can on my shortboard, doesnt mean you SHOULD.
    I can see if you are going for the same wave as them on you are both paddling for it and its happening over and over agian that pretty messed up of that person. But, if you just sitting there not making any type act of paddlin for the wave . Then I dont see what your getting bent out of shape about. Not everyone is a mind reader and not everyone stays in one spot and catch waves

wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    spongers are bad down south in nc they will drop in on you and they only come out for the good swells and they piss me off so much, like one once grabbed my leash when i was pumping down the line. and another borrowed my wax and got sand in it and that pissed me off alot.