LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I had a CI Flyer once. It was a sweet board until it catastrophically delaminated a year later. Lame ass pop out.

Images
    I use to ride nothing but locally shaped boards. Once I tried C.I. I never looked back. In terms of repeatability and quality they are unbeatable. Great boards by a great company, I'm betting the C.I. bashers have never ridden one. There is a reason why Merrick and company are so successful. To each his own, I'm not saying locally shaped boards don't have their place, but you can't go wrong buying the right model C.I. BTW, I don't work for them or any shop that sells them.

I've ridden a flyer II and it's not a bad board. I just think you can get the same or better from a local guy instead of getting a mass produced board made in china by a snowboard company.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    It sounds like Burton is applying their snowboard strategy to CI with roving demos.
    Right?... Like they don't already have enough of the market...

Slight deviation from original thread title...

I don't post too regularly, but thought I would share this link with everyone http://www.surfingmagazine.com/news/...108/index.html as well as some of my personal perspective. The local CI's you see in a shop are likely homegrown (SB, CA). If the issue with CI is that it is produced on/by a CAD machine...well that is a different issue.

To be honest, I'm all about a custom board (nt., all my boards are Wynn's), but I wouldn't knock a CAD produced board. It is likely that most of the name brand boards off the racks are finished shaped and produced on a CAD machine. In my opinion, it is just another tool that if you can afford it will help streamline/increase production. Wish I had one... The advantage of this type of tool is close tolerance repeatability. You find a shape you like you can likely get something close/similar to what you had...(nt., variables such as who finish shapes the board, glassing, as well as fin set-ups will definitely affect the board...but again this still indicates the fact that these boards are in essence handshapes). In my opinion, a true pop-out would be something like an aviso...definitely comes from a mold.

Now realize this perspective comes from someone who only goes custom on my orders with my local shaper and enjoys making his own boards from both close tolerance blanks to stringered EPS blocks...there will always be a place for this type of tool when the demand for production is as high as it is...The reason I don't buy CI's is because it is a CA based company...I love their foils and design concepts (they're great boards), but the boards are made for a west coast type of wave and consistency (with a few exceptions). Wynn is a Jersey local with the knowledge of our types of waves. He's consistent and makes a fantastic product...only makes sense to work with him. If he used CAD boards and finished them...I wouldn't have a problem with it whatsoever (nt., he is still finish shaping them...realize that even local east coast shapers like heritage, WRV, etc. typically use CAD pre-shapes...its a production issue.

I'm looking forward to trying out a CI shape...will be fun...plus I can get some great plan shape ideas! Sorry for the slight hijack, but thought this perspective might be helpful...

Now realize this perspective comes from someone who only goes custom on my orders with my local shaper and enjoys making his own boards from both close tolerance blanks to stringered EPS blocks...there will always be a place for this type of tool when the demand for production is as high as it is...The reason I don't buy CI's is because it is a CA based company...I love their foils and design concepts (they're great boards), but the boards are made for a west coast type of wave and consistency (with a few exceptions). Wynn is a Jersey local with the knowledge of our types of waves. He's consistent and makes a fantastic product...only makes sense to work with him.
    Exactly the same reason I buy from Ashton. He surfs our waves and builds board to them NOT CA or HI waves.

Images
    I'll be there, just hoping for some bump in the water. Channel Island works with some of the best surfers in the world and is always experimenting with new styles and designs. I like their open minded concepts. I am excited to get a chance to test out a few boards.

I do agree we should support our local shapers. If their any good I am sure they can shape you a simular design to any Channel Island surfboard.

North End Surfboards >> Site in development >>> http://www.facebook.com/pages/NorthE...s/192834082399

Hague Surfboards >> www.haguesurfboards.com

Visit - www.eastbreak.com

Images
    I'll have to Pop out ( no pun intended) for this in OCNJ on sunday

charlieinOC - which CI models did you like? Ive had 3, could never get any of them to work for me

the wynn's were spot on, each time.

ashton boards ive had were good too, but the wynn's are the best ive ridden in NJ surf, and the best ive known