LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 34thStreetSurfing View Post
    im all about the 4-3 mutant all winter long
    U r nuts. I wear a 4/3 with no botties etc in SD all winter, and thats where this guys is from. His genitals will probably immediately dissapear and never return if he attempts to paddle out in OCMD in february in a 4/3. Just my opinion. Not that living in SD makes you soft or anything, but even if you are warm in a 6 mil, hood etc... Nothing prepares you for the whipping wind and the really freezing weather that goes along with water temps... Telling a guy from socal to do that is like sending him on a suicide mission.

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    U r nuts. I wear a 4/3 with no botties etc in SD all winter, and thats where this guys is from. His genitals will probably immediately dissapear and never return if he attempts to paddle out in OCMD in february in a 4/3. Just my opinion. Not that living in SD makes you soft or anything, but even if you are warm in a 6 mil, hood etc... Nothing prepares you for the whipping wind and the really freezing weather that goes along with water temps... Telling a guy from socal to do that is like sending him on a suicide mission.

LOL!!

i was just about to chime in w/ how i try to get away w/ a (hooded) 4/3 & 5mil boots & gloves all winter here in ocnj...i just find the extra bulk of a 5/4 isn't justified unless it's REALLY cold (either air, water, or both). that tends to happen a handful of times each winter. then i climb into the 5/4. but on a daily basis, you'll find me in a hooded 4/3.

there is no way anyone makes it through winter in a 4/3 in nj.

Images
    No I am serious I always feel comfortable in my lil 4-3 toasty hood mittens booties and gloveies

My bad, I wear a ONeill6/5/4 which keeps me toast in the dead of winter. Only time I may get cold is on the long walk back to the truck or if I get really worked and have some wash through.

Quote Originally Posted by fallingsky View Post
    I wear a 5/4 with Hood built in and it keeps me nice and toasty. I also wear split mitts had probblems with my hands freezing with fingered gloves.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    LOL!!

i was just about to chime in w/ how i try to get away w/ a (hooded) 4/3 & 5mil boots & gloves all winter here in ocnj...i just find the extra bulk of a 5/4 isn't justified unless it's REALLY cold (either air, water, or both). that tends to happen a handful of times each winter. then i climb into the 5/4. but on a daily basis, you'll find me in a hooded 4/3.
    Wow, I guess i really did turn into a b***h out here. I was in OC MD last june, with a 4/3 and no booties. I was FREEZING. And I mean, COLD!!! My feet were numb and the whole nine. Since my feet were cold, it kept my whole core body temp lower, which I am just not used to. So, i guess my point is that this guy's body will probably not be tuned in to dealing with that kind of cold at first. I am sure its a process to get your human body to withstand that kind of temperature. Unless 4/3 technology has come a long way in the past couple years, I would have to say that I would die in a 4/3 down in MD in the winter. And I mean that literally. Die. But again, the ol' body has adapted to more mild climates, so it turned me into a nancy like everyone else out here. "Ohhh gosh, its cloudy today, its way to cold to surf"

All wetsuits are not equal. My Psycho Freak 3.5/2.5 took me through winter here in Va Beach. The water got into the 30s. I wasn't "roughing it," either. I chose a cap over a full hood, because I needed to bleed off some of the heat. Of course, I'm running 5mm booties/gloves in Jan & Feb.

I was constantly checking the comparison temps between NJ & VA. It averaged around 5 degree difference from the end of Dec through the beginning of March.

From what I understand, Patagonia's 2mm can pull off water in the 30s, as well. It isn't about being a ***** or a stud. There's alot that goes into what works for you: Fit,seams, thickness, water temp, air temp, normal body temp, body fat percentage, etc. There's always a certain degree of chance you take when buying a new suit.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mOtion732 View Post
    there is no way anyone makes it through winter in a 4/3 in nj.
    in my younger Poorer days I would surf in a 4/3 5mil mits 7'mil boot and a surf cap in the winter. I got probally 2 hours out max. it wasnt the best but got the job done