LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KPWahine View Post
    True... 80s were hardcore, but these 40 and 50 year old men grew up in the 60s and 70s when surfing was different. I'm only comparing them to my friends father who also surfs and was out there on Saturday. He even felt like the older men were being really ridiculous... just greedy and totally aggressive to the point that people paddled away from them because they rode every single wave no matter what. I mean good for them to be able to catch wave after wave but I know it annoyed a lot of surfers out there on Saturday.
    The thing I miss about the 60 and 70's that somehow has been lost in the line-up when a rider has priorty he or she usually yelled "coming down" or a simple "yep" allowing time for paddlers cutting off priority rider to back out avoiding collisions (dings). Surfing etiquette is a learned behavior not sold with the surf board so even some old guys need a lesson too.

Quote Originally Posted by goofy footer View Post
    The thing I miss about the 60 and 70's that somehow has been lost in the line-up when a rider has priorty he or she usually yelled "coming down" or a simple "yep" allowing time for paddlers cutting off priority rider to back out avoiding collisions (dings). Surfing etiquette is a learned behavior not sold with the surf board so even some old guys need a lesson too.
    I still do this all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by goofy footer View Post
    Just a quick whistle usually works.

I read this whole thread before someone pointed out it was old
    What happened to that surf shop wild ocean?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peajay4060 View Post
    What happened to that surf shop wild ocean?
    Haha was wondering the same. Pumpmaster was karma returned to the grommet death squad?

See, this was a golden thread. Definitely worth bumping. SI, you're welcome

Yeh! Agro is so uncool! a couple summers ago an older guy who hasnt surfed in 20 yrs had a colission with one of our best surfers at Chinco. Started a fight in the water but was held under water until he cooled down. Ha Ha. We were all appalled cause that just doesnt happen in Chico and not allowed. needless to say, He was blackballed for disrespect. However we did tell him to surf down the beach. He never came back. Respect the locals. Dont just try to sit on the peak and expect everyone to bow to you. It takes time to reach that level at any break.

One thing I'll never get is why we should give the best waves to the locals, who surf there every day. Seems kinda greedy and backwards doesn't it? Why should it matter where someone commuted from before they entered the water. When I surf, I don't give a **** where you came from. Everyone gets the same level of respect from me whether they walked into their front yard to surf or flew 5,000 miles. I'll paddle out to the peak and sit in the lineup, waiting my turn with anyone regardless of whether I live or have surfed there before.

Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    Haha was wondering the same. Pumpmaster was karma returned to the grommet death squad?
    They have a brand new grommet posse who needs 'educating'

Images
    Damn shame, kids are getting awfully brazen these days, none of them are getting slapped anymore.

the nice thing is they tend to congregate at one spot and there are way better breaks now if you know where to look.