LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KPWahine View Post
    Thanks, I totally agree with you that you are always going to have people in the water with you. That wasn't really my point but thanks for your perspective. I understand that spots are going to be worse in the Summer, especially popular beaches like Belmar. Thanks for some suggestions (ie, Darlington, Inlet). And I wasn't trying to play the whole angle that I'm a girl and guys should respect me more out in the water... that's not the case. I think respect should be mutual all around.

And @LOSTsoul.... Sorry buddy... there is NO WAY, I'm quitting. I'm having way too much fun out in the water. I love this sport, it challenges me each and every time I'm out there mentally and physically. Let me know where you surf so I can snake you the next time I see you
    Don't go to Squan Inlet, that dude was joking.

Quote Originally Posted by KPWahine View Post
    I went out in Belmar today (19th Ave) after looking at Surfline's forecast and shared the waves with about 40+ surfers. I'm a newbie, so I spend most of the time having waves pass me by... but there were a LOT of rude surfers (mostly much older men) on the waves today. A lot of people cutting people off and etc. I had to bail on 2 waves today because of people snaking them. Kinda annoying because it takes me a lot more time and effort to catch them than most surfers out in the water. I was really surprised because I've surfed other spots along the Shore and people have been more courteous and accepting of newbies.

Does anyone have any suggestions for spots to go where I can learn without having to worry about getting cut off nonstop?
    Haha this is great. That spot is one of the worst places to surf morning, noon, and night. The problem is not the older guys it is actually the younger 13 to 20 crowed. This is the reason the older guys act like this. I have been surfing that spot since I was 10 I try to stay far away from it now because of this problem. There is no etiquette there from anyone anymore. The core local guys have stopped going and all it is, is mayhem there now. The last time I was there I almost took it to the beach with a little 18/19 year old punk because he had a bad mouth. The cam really ruined that spot. I truly suggest going someplace else.

if your a newbie i dont think you have any right calling these guys kooks. it just shows me that your one of those guys floating out there and have no idea on surf etiquette. i dont understand how an older guy who obviously has surfed more than you and knows the spot well can be a kook.

@divinesurf... Def was using kook loosely. I understand that they are experienced surfers. I was just surprised with their etiquette. I would think that being surfers for so long that they grew up and surfed in a much different layed back era of surfing.

I agree with all of you guys. I never wrote this post slamming people out in the water. I understand that being a noob I need to earn my respect in the water and learn how to get out of the way. I don't want to ruin someone's ride at all. This post was more or less asking for a good spot to learn so that I DON'T ruin more advanced surfers waves and etc. Sorry if the term "kook" offended anyone.

sorry. i had to laugh when i read your last post. in the early 80s when I started the vibe was ANYTHING but laid back. It was WAY more aggro then then now.

True... 80s were hardcore, but these 40 and 50 year old men grew up in the 60s and 70s when surfing was different. I'm only comparing them to my friends father who also surfs and was out there on Saturday. He even felt like the older men were being really ridiculous... just greedy and totally aggressive to the point that people paddled away from them because they rode every single wave no matter what. I mean good for them to be able to catch wave after wave but I know it annoyed a lot of surfers out there on Saturday.

just do this stay to the outside maybe even stay closer to shore to get the left overs. longboarders are always gonna be there and getting most waves. just stay away from the spot where everyone sits and try to find your own little break somewhere down the beach and then when you feel more confident get in there and paddle your ass off and pray you make the wave and dont fall. after a good wave youll get your respect

I think the issue is with your thinking. Surfing really isn't this laid back, hippy sport where everybody gets along. It's ultra competitive and aggressive especially among the top tier guys. Compound that with summer crowds, so when a little swell finally comes up, the locals are going to get as many as they can.

In the winter it does mellow out but summer brings out the worse in everybody in the water.

Definitely never said it was a hippy sport. Hahah. This thread could go on forever with views of what surfing is and isn't... I appreciate all the insight. I will definitely take a lot of the advice here (ie, stay closer to shore, let the vets take the big ones, etc). Thanks, guys!

its a hot summer weekend in july, with 1-2 foot dribble, going to belmar to learn how to surf is a bad choice.. there are other beaches at the neighboring towns to the north and south that would be a much better decision!