LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Costa Trip

Images

Costa Trip

I am going to costa next week, but am not sure whether to go to the Grande area (north) or Hermosa (central) Its looking like north will be clean where as central will be semi choppy. I plan to fly into san jose, so i prefer to go central since its only a 2 hour drive. does any one here have any experience surfing costa with 5-10 MPH onshore winds? also, can i get a plane from san jose to somewhere close to grande?

Thanks in advance

Central seems to be glassy every morning for about 3 hours before the sea breeze. I think the drive is much faster than 2 hours now with the super Chinese highway.

You can fly from Pavas in San Jo to Tamarindo and rent a 4 wheel drive to get to Playa Grande. Check Nature Air (natureair.com) or Sansa (flysansa.com). Good luck!

I like the North better. Better winds, consistent surf, beautiful places to go and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Joyner View Post
    Central seems to be glassy every morning for about 3 hours before the sea breeze. I think the drive is much faster than 2 hours now with the super Chinese highway.
    What he said.

Its a pretty easy walk from Tamarindo to Grande if you don't have the $$ to drop on a 4wd.
    You can just hop on a bus from san jose to tamarindo for like $15

Images
    All depends on how much time you have, but Central is where the power is at.

I just got back from CR two weeks ago and I found that you can get more quality breaks in and around the central coast all within a short drive. The super Chinese highway is partially open (rock slides), but you'll still have to drive around through Atenas.

Its south swell season so you should be surfing south facing breaks and points. Get a boat out of Herradura for $15 and try Playa Escondida on low rising to mid-tide. Nice punchy lefts.

Have fun.

im actually in costa right now and staying at hermosa. first 3 days i was here it was around 4 feet and really good but the past few days its been 6-7ft really heavy,closing out and crazy currents everywhere. i would say bail on hermosa and head up north. it will definitely be worth the longer trip

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Joyner View Post
    What's this super Chinese highway you speak of?

Go to roca loca. it should hold the swell there.