LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Board/wetsuit maintenace

How many of you actually wash your board after your done with your sesh and wash your suit.Ive really never rinsed my board off even thou I should.I soak my suit in the tub but thats the extent of it.
    Last edited by GoodVibes; Jul 29, 2010 at 01:44 AM.

i always wash off my board and suit...its just become a habit of mine. it just lengthens the life of the gear so why not.

Rinsing the suit is a must. I use the pressure nozzle on a garden hose give it a good rinse until I turn the outside water off for the winter months. Then it's the shower inside... all you can do.

Washing your board off? I don't know man... that does nothing, as far as I know. Maybe the little cord that attaches to your leash could use the rinse, but other than that, salt on your board has no effect other than keeping sand out of your car or garage.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodVibes View Post
    Ive really never rinsed my board off even thou I should.
    What makes you think you should? I mean ive heard people say it, but i've never seen any actual evidence that dried up salt damages surfboards.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    What makes you think you should? I mean ive heard people say it, but i've never seen any actual evidence that dried up salt damages surfboards.
    Thats what Ive heard,just don't know if its true.

I always rinse my suit inside and out. Also rinse out the rash guards and shorts in summer. Just alot more comfortable toput them on the next time. No old sand rubbing against you and causing unneeded rashes or chaffing. I always rinse off my boards or at least wipe them down after a session or at least every week of surfing. if you get a ding anywhere on the board the salt water has a way of getting inside and doing severe damage to the board internally. After awhile it will begin deteriorating the foam and delaminating. I know this from experience. After a day at the beach I just go to a car wash and rinse off the boards on the racks while I'm washing the car. I mostly surf Chincoteague where you park right on the beach. So the car gets blasted with sand after a week of surfing. Plus I keep my boards in my room so its nice to keep my room free of old salt water and sand. I've also found that rinsing the boards keeps the wax on your board in better shape for the next time out. No sand buildup or junkie stuff from the ocean ruining the wax.
    Last edited by Alvin; Jul 31, 2010 at 03:43 PM.

getting ANY type of water into a ding is bad for the board, not just salt water. i've never really understood the logic behind rinsing or washing down a solid, non-porous piece of equipment, tho i could kind of understand around the fin plugs, since it seems like a combination of salt & sand turns into glue & makes fins nearly impossible to get out.

i rinse my wetsuits (including tops & vests) semi-religiously...def. helps them last longer, but also makes them stink less, which my gf likes. & keeping her happy lets me buy boards at will. trunks get rinsed only b/c i'm usually still wearing them when i hop in the outside shower.

A friend ruined a new wet suit in less that 6 mos. from not washing it and leaving it in his trunk. It smelled like he had a dead body in there. In fact the suit took on a life of its own. It got out of the trunk and drove his car away. I hear the wet suit now surfs better than he does.
    Last edited by Recycled Surfer; Jul 31, 2010 at 06:32 PM. Reason: .

Quote Originally Posted by Recycled Surfer View Post
    the suit took on a life of its own. It got out of the trunk and drove his car away. I hear the wet suit now surfs better than he does.
    LOL! Too funny, brother...

wash it all!

I wash my board too, though I realize it's non-porous or whatever. The chlorides in saltwater are one of the most corrosive compounds on earth, so it definitely can't hurt. It's definitely worth washing the suit with cool water after every use, not to mention hanging it to dry OUT OF DIRECT SUNLIGHT and in a position so it doesn't get all creased up. Not only will it last longer, but it'll work better and keep you warm. Back in my NorCal days, I'd just take it in the shower with me for a quick rinse. That way it's still damp, but at least warm, when you suit up again for the next session.