LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hilton Head Island - OB, SD
    Posts
    4,745
    Images
    26

    Hey Weather People

    Hey mid-atlantic weather guys: Does anyone know the factors that have led to Coastal New Jersey averaging 4-6 degrees warmer in Air temperature compared the the OC MD coast. There has also been a ton less precipitation recorded up there with clearer coastal skies.

    So, for two coastlines that are like 10 miles apart, does anyone know what factors lead to stronger wind and more clouds along the MD coast? Is it the presence of the DE bay to the North? Or is it that Jersey sticks out further east into the ocean? Anyone have any theories? Or is this just been a fluke summer..

    They both are located in the same sub-climate as well. While Western Jersey and Western Maryland stay wetter and colder in the winter.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Berlin MD
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Hey mid-atlantic weather guys: Does anyone know the factors that have led to Coastal New Jersey averaging 4-6 degrees warmer in Air temperature compared the the OC MD coast. There has also been a ton less precipitation recorded up there with clearer coastal skies.

    So, for two coastlines that are like 10 miles apart, does anyone know what factors lead to stronger wind and more clouds along the MD coast? Is it the presence of the DE bay to the North? Or is it that Jersey sticks out further east into the ocean? Anyone have any theories? Or is this just been a fluke summer..

    They both are located in the same sub-climate as well. While Western Jersey and Western Maryland stay wetter and colder in the winter.
    Ocean City has been hot as hell and sunny for most of the last two months. Like 90+ most days.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hilton Head Island - OB, SD
    Posts
    4,745
    Images
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    Ocean City has been hot as hell and sunny for most of the last two months. Like 90+ most days.
    MD or NJ?

    I have both AC NJ and OC MD side by side on my desktop... For the past 3 months, AC NJ has averaged in the high 80s and low 90s all the time, where MOST of the time, it was 4-5 degrees cooler in MD. My source is the weather channel widgets. Maybe there is a glitch in the AC wdiget or something. But it clocks it as like 89 and no clouds almost every day.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Berlin MD
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    MD or NJ?

    I have both AC NJ and OC MD side by side on my desktop... For the past 3 months, AC NJ has averaged in the high 80s and low 90s all the time, where MOST of the time, it was 4-5 degrees cooler in MD. My source is the weather channel widgets. Maybe there is a glitch in the AC wdiget or something. But it clocks it as like 89 and no clouds almost every day.
    Maryland. Seriously itw been hot and sunny summer.

  5. #5
    Without any googling, it probably has something to do with the locations of the official weather reporting locations (most likely, the airports). AC's airport is several miles inland, whereas OC's is just across the water from Assateague. Given the ridiculous heat we've had all summer and the cooling effect from being on the water, a 4 - 5 degree difference doesn't seem out of whack.

    I know that Annapolis and Reagan Airport in DC -- both on the water -- are consistently several degrees cooler in the summer than BWI and Dulles for this reason.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    Its the Guidos...

    No j/k. I agree with attikus, it most likely has to do with the location of the weather stations... If the weather station is close to the coast as apposed to several miles+ inland, it can make a huge difference with the air temps.

  7. #7
    The two coastlines are a little more than 10 miles apart -- not to mention whether you are accurately comparing the point at Cape May with state line DE/MD. Back to your geography books! Like, duh southern Oregon and norther California are only meters apart... but why is San Diego warmer than Portland. Rosanna???

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hilton Head Island - OB, SD
    Posts
    4,745
    Images
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by rodndtube View Post
    The two coastlines are a little more than 10 miles apart -- not to mention whether you are accurately comparing the point at Cape May with state line DE/MD. Back to your geography books! Like, duh southern Oregon and norther California are only meters apart... but why is San Diego warmer than Portland. Rosanna???
    ... nevermind ...
    Last edited by zach619; Jul 30, 2010 at 05:06 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hilton Head Island - OB, SD
    Posts
    4,745
    Images
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by attikus View Post
    Without any googling, it probably has something to do with the locations of the official weather reporting locations (most likely, the airports). AC's airport is several miles inland, whereas OC's is just across the water from Assateague. Given the ridiculous heat we've had all summer and the cooling effect from being on the water, a 4 - 5 degree difference doesn't seem out of whack.

    I know that Annapolis and Reagan Airport in DC -- both on the water -- are consistently several degrees cooler in the summer than BWI and Dulles for this reason.
    Thank you for a logical, useful response. That makes perfect sense and lays all my questions to rest. That is exactly why I asked. So someone could give me a legitimate answer. Less coastal influence at the weather stations. Got it.

  10. #10

    Climate Change?

    It's been a brutal summer in MD for shizzle.

    From a global perspective the last 6 months are the hottest on record.