LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Quote Originally Posted by spongedude View Post
    take a trip out to the imperial valley or the san joaquin (golden state) and talk to someone who actually works there, farmer and worker alike.
    Actually, I was born and bred SD and lived in California (not "Cali") for 30 years.

And, part of my job for many years was dealing with laborers and farmers.

I'm also well aware of the "Bracero" program...a very good and successful program, very similar to the "Guest Worker Program" that is being discussed as we speak. The biggest problems with the Bracero program was 1) the workers complained of not getting paid the backwages they were promised, and 2) the Braceros were supposed to return to Mexico...and of course, many didn't. Big surprise...

Your thoughts and opinions are obviously well-reasoned.

Can't buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Behind The Sun View Post
    I make it sound like they came here wanting to be legal American citizens, live a more than decent lifestyle, give back and contribute to the local community (through volunteering)....they work hard, learn whatever you teach them and took classes to speak pretty damn good english............

I'd say they are "wanted" here, and I'm not adding to the problem..............unlike the greedy guys who WILL pick up three guys on the corner, pay them what ever low ball dollar they ask for, just so they can get cheap labor, and not have to work about any ties, so they make more in their pockets.

bottom line is, the "system" has slipped..........we can all prove points on here, but until we all voice ourselves to governments.......the problem will persist

give it a few years, who knows, maybe the countries they are coming from might be prime real-estate.......
    Fair enough after clarification.
    In some of the countries that these people come from Non- Citizens of that country
    can not buy property or if they can its for 20 years at a time.
    Mexico for one, last time I checked.11 years ago.
    And that does not mean you get to auto rebuy that property.
    If a citizens of that country wants it your out......Rob

Images

thanks kid...

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    Actually, I was born and bred SD and lived in California (not "Cali") for 30 years.

And, part of my job for many years was dealing with laborers and farmers.

I'm also well aware of the "Bracero" program...a very good and successful program, very similar to the "Guest Worker Program" that is being discussed as we speak. The biggest problems with the Bracero program was 1) the workers complained of not getting paid the backwages they were promised, and 2) the Braceros were supposed to return to Mexico...and of course, many didn't. Big surprise...

Your thoughts and opinions are obviously well-reasoned.
    thanks kidrock....i was an ag major and we spent a lot of time with both sides of the labor issue, and the issues on both sides are far more complex than most understand. we need a workable solution for all concerned...