LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Interesting Read on Popouts

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38472495...s-us_business/
    I think its still somewhat amazing that in 2008, 63% of surfboards sold were domestic.

pretty good article. what are some of the asian producers?

Quote Originally Posted by mOtion732 View Post
    pretty good article. what are some of the asian producers?
    surftech, firewire, boardworks, & global surf industries (GSI) are the biggies. most of them have contracted w/ other brands to produce boards w/ their label on them overseas (think surftech/tuflite channel islands boards). a lot of the popular beginner/perpetual kook boards are GSI: blue, 7S, NSP, etc... what's even worse than that, in my opinion, is that some shapers will maintain a factory in their home country, but outsource the bulk of their production to one of those companies (usu. either GSI or surftech) so that they can still say their boards are domestically made (webber is a prime australian example of this, & strive surfboards of santa cruz is a good USA example).

a few of the top brands to sell out to surftech:

byrne
    g & s
    HIC
    JC
    mark richards
    mickey munoz
    pearson arrow
    robert august
    rusty
    stretch
    t. patterson
    yater
    bushman
    **** brewer
    harbor
    hawaiian pro designs (donald takayama)
    hobie
    jacobs
    joel tudor
    M10
    matt kechele
    mctavish
    velzy
    t & c
    wayne lynch
    xanadu

wow, i had no idea there were that many. it's terrible, but the shaper's primary goal is to stay in business - so you have to understand to an extent.

how did you know all of this? you run a shop?

its been going on for years...
    add walden to the list; and anything made by "boardworks" is overseas.

It's amazing how many surfers do NOT know this. I walked into Faria's on LBI one day and the board guy started talking to me about Firewires. I said, 'It's a same they are made in Asia". He proceeded to tell me that they were made in San Diego (or he at least claimed that was what the rep told him). It's actually written on the damn board "made in Indonesia" and he's trying to tell me it's made in San Diego.

Support surfer labor. There are plenty of US surfers who are willing to take little pay in exchange to lead the surfing life they desire and put their heart into build beautiful boards.

Quote Originally Posted by mOtion732 View Post
    wow, i had no idea there were that many. it's terrible, but the shaper's primary goal is to stay in business - so you have to understand to an extent.

how did you know all of this? you run a shop?
    that was just surftech- 1 company. GSI & boardworks have countless more. firewire has a collaboration w/ ...lost, arbor, & a few others. they even attempted a collaboration w/ hawaii's greg griffen. tho their r & d is done in san diego & australia, the bulk of the manufacturing is done in thailand & indo. they're nothing more than high-end popouts.

i do work in a shop, but you can find all this info on their websites...just google "surftech" or the like...it'll come right up.

8. I couldn't compete. I only do about 25 boards a year now. Buy local or at least American. Not only surfboards. Everything you buy. It is the downfall of America. Wake up.

your boards are gorgeous pieces of functional art, jim. glad to hear that you're still semi at it.
    the backyard board builder will never go away...the big companies may produce mass quantities for the average consumer, but it's the little guys who drive design progression & experiment w/ different plan shapes, foils, & fin set ups. not one single large-scale board manufacturer has ever delivered a brand-new concept to surfboard design. the little guy will never go away.

Quote Originally Posted by rDJ View Post
    Support surfer labor. There are plenty of US surfers who are willing to take little pay in exchange to lead the surfing life they desire and put their heart into build beautiful boards.
    Shapers shouldn't be willing to be paid crap for the work they put into a board. It's that mentality that leads shapers to sign with GSI, Surftech, and Boardworks. They need a source of income to supplement their meager wages and to support them when they want to retire.