LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shark or Dolphin

I was out surfing this morning and saw something in front of me about 25 yards. The front of it came out of the water and I saw a dorsal fin. I'm thinking it was a dolphin but always thought they traveled in pods. Do sharks ever stick their upper body and head out of the water?

I'm thinking it was a dolphin but watching shark week is probably getting in my head, lol.

Images
    It was a ray.

Images
    Definitely a hungry man-eating 14 foot great white. You are lucky you escaped with your life.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ SPONGIN View Post
    It was a ray.
    That's right...it was me.....and it wasn't my dorsal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray F. View Post
    That's right...it was me.....and it wasn't my dorsal.

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States
    Images
    well the sharks are also watching shark week and made it their job to scare the ever living ****s out of everyone

No... sharks don't raise their head out of the water unless they're striking something on the surface. In fact, sharks rarely swim close enough to the surface that their dorsal fin sticks up out of the water. That's kind of a popular culture/TV phenomenon.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    No... sharks don't raise their head out of the water unless they're striking something on the surface. In fact, sharks rarely swim close enough to the surface that their dorsal fin sticks up out of the water. That's kind of a popular culture/TV phenomenon.
    I dont know about that. on a few occasions ive had a shark swim up to me with a top hat on and a cigar in its mouth. Each time ive had a great conversation with them.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ SPONGIN View Post
    I dont know about that. on a few occasions ive had a shark swim up to me with a top hat on and a cigar in its mouth. Each time ive had a great conversation with them.

wow! you're lucky to have encountered the extremely rare, but extremely gregarious "groucho marx" shark!! it's found only on the east coast, mainly in the mid-atlantic area

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    wow! you're lucky to have encountered the extremely rare, but extremely gregarious "groucho marx" shark!! it's found only on the east coast, mainly in the mid-atlantic area
    I know. What can i say, i am one extremely lucky person. it twas a truly enlightening experience.