LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Images

Wedding Rings and Surfing

So, I am getting Married in about 3 weeks. I obviously already got my fiance's engauagement ring and the wedding band that I give her on the day of. We went into the jeweler a few days ago to look at the Men's Wedding Bands. I tried on a few. The simple plain ones. Just a white gold band. Then My Fiance and I were talking, and I asked her... "Well, since I surf everyday, does this mean that I will have to take the ring off before every session"... She replies: Of course not, you never take the ring off.

I respond: "Well, I would hate to paddle a mile out in winter surf, and be duck diving a set wave, and come up with no ring on my finger."

I mean, we have all been hit by waves that almost rip our entire wetsuits off....

So, my logic is that Married guys just take the ring off, then put it back on... I just can't see getting through a whole fall and winter of surfing every day without the thing slipping right off my finger....

After having this conversation, I started thinking about my local lineup. All the guys i know with a wife and kids... ANd in my mind, I picture them all, in the lineup, with no rings on... I would have noticed a rind by now... I am assuming/remembering that no body I know wear's the wedding band in the water....

Any thoughts from my already married compadres?

He he, I put my ring on at the wedding and my wife found it on the side of the bed shortly after. I hate jewelry and especially the feeling of a ring. I told her I couldn't stand the feeling and wouldn't wear it so she put it in her jewelry box and it sits there still after 18 years.

The ring will come off in the water no matter how well it fits, that's why all the guys with metal detectors are finding rings on the beach. Take it off unless you want to loose it.
    Last edited by Zippy; Aug 6, 2010 at 03:59 AM.

not married but winter gloves will obviously prevent it from coming off

Images
    been married 12 years this sunday and only take off the ring to put on my lobster claws in the winter since they squeeze my fingers together a bit and the ring hurts after a while.

One thing I did was put my original gold band in a drawer and bought a titanium band on ebay for $25 that I wear all the time - its tougher, looks good, and if I lose it its not a big deal.

Keep in mind the cooler water shrinks you hands. Have forgotten to take my ring off and have had to buy 2 replacements. One the wife knows about the second she does not. Not fun trying to find the same ring.

Images
    I never take mine off never had a issue with losing it in 6 years

No woman wants to hear "I lost my wedding ring" cause a whole bunch of stuff will go through their mind, no matter how good your relationship is. I tell my wife I'm taking it off for surfing in the winter and then leave it in plain sight at home so she knows why it's there and put it on when I get home. You're gonna lose it + those gloves will put an ungodly amount of pressure on the ring for whatever reason. Very uncomfortable.

Images

....lost

Quote Originally Posted by fallingsky View Post
    Keep in mind the cooler water shrinks you hands. Have forgotten to take my ring off and have had to buy 2 replacements. One the wife knows about the second she does not. Not fun trying to find the same ring.
    i have now lost 3 at the beach. $$$$ (just dropping it in the sand is a total cluster fvck). her irritation will be more if you lose the ring. take it off and leave it in the car.
    Last edited by spongedude; Jun 28, 2012 at 03:17 AM.

I like that idea BrandX. Been married for 17 yrs, and have surfed with it on and off. Like to have it on, so may have to buy a cheap surfing band.
    Quote Originally Posted by brandx View Post
    been married 12 years this sunday and only take off the ring to put on my lobster claws in the winter since they squeeze my fingers together a bit and the ring hurts after a while.

One thing I did was put my original gold band in a drawer and bought a titanium band on ebay for $25 that I wear all the time - its tougher, looks good, and if I lose it its not a big deal.

I am on my third ring since i didnt like the fit of the first two (I'm a machinist). Neither my wife or I are too sentimental about the one that some preist waved his magical hand over, but i still have that original one in a drawer somewhere.

I can't surf with it.. only time i even notice it, have to take it off.. just doesnt feel harmonious with nature.

Also.. it shines like a fishing lure! I figure wearing it is just asking for a bite