LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Advantages/Disadvantages?

Im wondering what are some advantages and disadvantages in comparing round tails to squash?
    ive only ridden squash tails besides on pin on my single fin, and a diamond tail on an old board.

get a swallowtail

squash/square tails pivot better & change direction very well. this is why most high performance boards have those types of tails.

round/pin/round pin tails handle high speeds very well & tend to prefer smoother, longer arcing types of turns. this is why your some of your step-ups & your semi-guns/guns have this type of tail

in my estimation, a diamond tail is nice combination of those 2 tails.

a swallow tail is cool b/c it shortens the rail line of the board, so you have a shorter board w/ the volume of a bigger board. depending on the width of the swallow tail, it can act in a manner similar to a squash or a pin. you'll sometimes see tiny little swallows on some guys big wave boards.

personally, i prefer round pins on my boards. i've had a couple good diamond tails & 1 or 2 good square tails, but the overwhelming majority of the boards i have in my quiver today have round pintails, as have many of my favorite boards of the past.

Images
    almost all my high performance shortboards have a rounded tail. I had ridden mostly squash and square tails before that, because my shaper explained how these tails promote more water movement during direction changes (i.e. bigger spray through turns)... But for over-all performance, I have fallen in love with the rounded tails. They allow perfectly fluid turns, even going 200mph. I can feel a HUGE difference in the ease of turning at high speeds with round tails compared to squashes.... A few years back, my friend had a Fish that had a round tail, and the thing was PIMP! You could get into DOH mushy reef breaks, but then turn on a dime on a top turn and change direction...

So, on all my boards, I prefer the round tail.... I understand why some guys like the squash, but it doesn't do anything for me really. My 6'2 and my stepup shortboards have squashes, but I use them in bigger surf so I don't really feel that much of a difference, because the turning arches etc. are long and smooth anyway.... But I feel like a simple tweek of the ankles while riding the round tails allow the board to response much quicker, allowing for quick precise turns...

Im no board techie, I am just speaking from riding them... I really have no idea what the technical sh** means, but I know my turns like about 12-15% better on a round tail than a squash while in normal chest-head conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    a swallow tail is cool b/c it shortens the rail line of the board.
    All of what you said is right on the money. The only thing I have to add to that is to clarify the swallow/rail length statement. Whether the swallow is pulled (mini swallow or a notched swallow) or wide, from tip to tip (a true twin fin swallow or fish tail) will determine whether they lengthen or shorten the rail line. The former will shorten what I call the "effective rail" while the latter will lengthen it, taking a straighter rail line all the way to the tip.

Generally speaking, a curvier tail outline (round. thumb, round pin...) shorten the effective rail, as the template is pulled into the curve. A straighter tail outline, like those leading into a square, squash, or rounded square tail, will lengthen the effective rail, taking it all the way out to the corner of the tail. But there exceptions... bumps, hips, wings, etc. change the story.

The rule of thumb is... square tails, square turns... round tails, round turns.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Aug 7, 2010 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    All of what you said is right on the money. The only thing I have to add to that is to clarify the swallow/rail length statement. Whether the swallow is pulled (mini swallow or a notched swallow) or wide, from tip to tip (a true twin fin swallow or fish tail) will determine whether they lengthen or shorten the rail line. The former will shorten what I call the "effective rail" while the latter will lengthen it, taking a straighter rail line all the way to the tip.

Generally speaking, a curvier tail outline (round. thumb, round pin...) shorten the effective rail, as the template is pulled into the curve. A straighter tail outline, like those leading into a square, squash, or rounded square tail, will lengthen the effective rail, taking it all the way out to the corner of the tail. But there exceptions... bumps, hips, wings, etc. change the story.

The rule of thumb is... square tails, square turns... round tails, round turns.
    good point...i should've clarified that myself.

Images
    how do airs and roundtails go together??? i could imagine if they generate more speed they could be even better/bigger?

Quote Originally Posted by mexsurfer View Post
    how do airs and roundtails go together??? i could imagine if they generate more speed they could be even better/bigger?
    more surface area=more loft.

however

squash/square tail=better release/less water adhesion, so quicker out of the wave on the launch. this is probably more important, which is prob. why most pros & air guys prefer them over most other tail designs, except the swallow tail.

Yep... and hard edges. A touch less tail rocker seems to help, too.

Images
    on an longboard tail rocker is your friend