Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
So anyway, the places, geographically speaking with regards to surf and proximity to the ocean, Margate and Ventnor pop up on my radar all the time. The problem is, I have never been there and I only go off of tons of online research. Crime, Real estate, School, population density, blah blah... And on paper, both places look good.

I am just a little worried about how close they actually are to places like AC etc. I hear that AC is really not the place to "live" with family and stuff. A lot of rif raf and what not... So I am wondering how far things like that spill over in surrounding neighborhoods...
Before I spent much time here, I wondered about the negative effects of the proximity of Atlantic City, too, and I have to say that I just don't see any problems from it. The crime in AC is concentrated around the poverty and the boardwalk. The ocean front neighborhoods at the South Western edge of AC are actually fairly decent (and it's the only place where you could think of getting a beach block house for under $1million). There are some spots in Ventnor Heights that are kind of sketchy, but just in a run-down sort of way.

Longport, on the other hand, is a whole different story. I live on the last street in Margate. You can just feel the money when you walk around the corner into Longport. The grass really is greener. Longport is kinda stunning visually, too. The view over Longport from the Ocean City bridge always knocks me out.

Having AC nearby is kinda cool. I'm not a huge gambler, but every once in a while, we'll ride our bikes up to AC on a weekend morning with friends and grab some breakfast and play a few hands of blackjack.