LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guitar.

Strat

Quote Originally Posted by NJ SPONGIN View Post
    Ive heard Epiphones are good. Im looking for a decent guitar under like 350$
    Personally, I don't like Epiphone electrics. I LOVE their acoustics (One of my guitars is a 1973 Epiphone acoustic). If you're looking to spend under 350, what I would do is find an old Fender Strat (Mexican). They are solid guitars, and IMO the most comfortable to play. Look for one with a light colored neck (they are a little bit wider, and more beginner friendly). Awesome guitars tho man, I've had three. Try to get away with getting the guitar for like 200-250... you might have to do some work to it, but they are really easy to work on, or you can get someone to. Then take the remaining money to buy a starter amp. Once you get used to playing a strat, you won't really want to play anything else. I absolutely love them. And if you can get a drive pedal, and a gain pedal.

both of those used les pauls are about exactly what you should be looking for

Images
    ^^Yeah im liking those.

It also depends on what style of music you're looking to play. Look at what most of the guys or gals in the bands you like are playing and kind of go in that direction. Very big difference in sound when it comes to a les vs. a strat vs. vox (hehe) Strats have a great sound for certain styles of music and les's have the niche too. Point in case, you don't see many, if any, punk bands rockin a strat. Just doesn't work. You need that double coil sound to really get that distorted but "clean" sound. Strats just don't work with a lot of distortion, imo. When you do, you get a nirvana style sound, and 'ick. Buuuut, if you like a reverb sound along the lines of reggae, folky', bluesy stuff, strats the ticket.

Or go balls to the wall and get a Gretsch Duo Jet. Best of both worlds. My baby. Got one of the last ones made by Grestch before fender bought 'em and sent production over seas.

Oh, and if you wanna play in drop "D" or "C", you gotta go with a double coil. Drop "D" on a mexi strat sounds like a turd being put through a strainer. Very little low end on those mexi strats and strats in general.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyd View Post
    Or go balls to the wall and get a Gretsch Duo Jet. Best of both worlds. My baby. Got one of the last ones made by Grestch before fender bought 'em and sent production over seas.
    SICK guitar

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyd View Post
    Oh, and if you wanna play in drop "D" or "C", you gotta go with a double coil. Drop "D" on a mexi strat sounds like a turd being put through a strainer. Very little low end on those mexi strats and strats in general.
    and if you plan on going drop D or C a lot, get thicker strings

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lbsurfer View Post
    and if you plan on going drop D or C a lot, get thicker strings
    10 gauge strings for drop C, D. That's what I use. Also, make sure you have a decent guitar.....heavier strings can put extra stress on the neck and it could warp after time.

Buy my Ibanez.....it's ridic
    Last edited by Aguaholic; Aug 13, 2010 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    An Epiphone electric in the $350 range will be a pretty nice guitar for a beginner. Never liked the Squires but Epiphone is a Gibson after all. I buy a lot from http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ and another place that I can't remember out of NJ I think. Both have great prices and fast shipping. If you see something nice from a local shop at a good price go for it but the online places usually have some very candid reviews. I have an old Yamaha Nippon Gakki Red label that I love.
    Have never had a problem with this site. Always fast, good stuff, and I love to drule over the catalogs they send every so often.

Northender Guest
    I reccomend goinf to a pawn shop to get one, That is where i bought my first squire strat, and actuallty i just bought a boss os 2 distortion pedal there, they have great prices and have a decent begginer guitar collection