LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Surferdann View Post
    paddle outs can be hairy when it gets big...there is no such thing as duck-diving when you're on a log.
    Yeah got that right !!!!. Turtle Roll or hold on for the ride if you can make over the top

I think at your size you can go with a 9'0. Matt's design suggestions are sound. To add to that, I'd suggest a little nose concave (low entry rocker, btw), either a little belly through the middle or just flat, to a rolled vee through the tail. Fin suggestion is spot on, too, but if you go with a 9'0 instead of a bigger 9'2 - 9'6, you can put in a 9.5" fin.

I don't think you have to worry too much about transitioning from your shortboard. Traditional longboarding is totally different... there's absolutely nothing about them that's the same, from how you paddle to how you turn, to how you trim. There's no "in between" on a longboard, and anything in the 8'0 range isn't going to give you that same feeling of glide, trim, pivot turn, noseriding... all the stuff that makes longboarding in knee high surf fun.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Aug 13, 2010 at 11:34 AM.

3. get a longboard, its great to have. you will use it way more then you think. youll get like triple the waves on a knee high day then you would on a shortboard. even in some cold months you may find yourself using it. i find myself not as cold as you sit more out of the bitter atlantic.

absolutely get a 9'0. my 9'0 is a different world from my 8'2 i learned on years back.

let the naysayers have at it, but i picked up a 9'0 firewire squash that was used literally a handful of times this may and i could not be happier with it. the board really is as advertised. i tried my best to find a poly log, but everything i saw at swaps and on craigslist was beat up and i was not spending over a grand on a new board.

Yeah i also have never seen the point to performance longboarding. I ride a Matador with the dims 10'0 x 24" x 3 1/2" and have a ball on it. One of my friends who rides a perfromance just looks like an idiot trying to pump and turn something so big. If i was you i would just go all out and not get anything below 9 foot.

thanks for all the input guys!

one of the first things i noticed after riding the longboard was going back to the shortboard, it took me like an hour just to get comfortable again. it felt like a potato chip compared to the board i was riding.

i'd imagine for the next while, shortboarding will unquestionably be my priority. i do not want to be any sort of full fledged longboarder (no offense to those who are). i am really looking for something to have fun in on small waves - that's why i was leaning toward the 8' walden or a similar style of board.

i would like to see a shaper, but my budget is around the $750-800 range. custom shaped LB would definitely run over that amount.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mOtion732 View Post
    one of the first things i noticed after riding the longboard was going back to the shortboard, it took me like an hour just to get comfortable again. it felt like a potato chip compared to the board i was riding.
    three thoughts -
    1- You'll get past that "potato chip" feeling quickly. I ride a longboard about 5% of the time, and boards in the 6 foot range about 90% of the time. Not saying i'm good, but i feel fine switching back and forth.

2- Go for a full-on longboard in the 9'0" range. An 8'0" is not a longboard, and wont feel like one. You said your shortboard is a 6'1" (not a 6'10" or something) probably because you want the full uncompromised shortboard experience and not some hybrid. Approach buying a longboard the same way - you want the real deal.

3- I dont think getting a locally shaped custom log for $800 is unrealsitic, if you're willing to skip the bells and whistles.
    Last edited by mitchell; Aug 13, 2010 at 04:16 PM.

Agree with Mitchell - $800 is not unreasonable for a locally shaped log if you're okay with a pretty basic template.

Contact the guys at Cosmic Bull or Brian Wynn. I bet they can set you up in that price range.

Quote Originally Posted by tbeaver View Post
    Agree with Mitchell - $800 is not unreasonable for a locally shaped log if you're okay with a pretty basic template.

Contact the guys at Cosmic Bull or Brian Wynn. I bet they can set you up in that price range.
    thanks to both of you. this will be my next step.

Quote Originally Posted by mOtion732 View Post
    It's called a longboard hangover and the reason I forced myself to stop using my Infinity Cluster V. The ease of paddling and ability to effortlessly catch waves was so addictive that started to use it in everything...including head-high and above.

After surfing it exclusively for 3 months, I was all jacked up when I swapped back to big guy shortboard. My timing was off....I was out of "paddling shape".....hell...just sitting on a shortboard felt weird, with the waterline around my waist and what not. The moral is: If you want to remain good at shortboarding, only use a longboard when you absolutely have to. Just my 2 cents.....

I'll sometimes switch boards every session, and sometimes even in a single session. Feels funny, like taking off snowboard boots and putting on sneakers. But get the feeling back pretty quickly if you do it all the time.