LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How long is your average session?

I know it depends on the swell and air/water temp, but I just want to get a general idea of the length of your sessions. For me:

summer: 2.5 hours
    winter: 1.5 hours

Images
    Depends on how good it is . If i get there in the moring before high tide I can surf anywhere from 4-6 hours in the summer

In the winter probally 3 to 4

It all depends, if it's pumping and warm maybe 4-6 hours. The colder it gets the lower that number goes. Maybe 2 hours in the heart of winter.

Images
    1.5 hours is my magic number unless its completely epic. I ride nothing but shortboards and spend most sessions looking for airs and speeds, so after 10-12 waves, your body really starts slowing down. After 1.5 hours, I see my wave counts drop and my over all energy levels start breaking down.... so when I start getting those 7-10 minute breaks in between waves, I know that Im not going 100% anymore, so time to go. Why waste time. I just go out and surf like 150% as fast as I can, then im out.

In the winter, when its perfect and offshore, I will go out on the reefs for 3-4 hours, but there are long lulls there and not nearly as much enrgy spent while you are actually on the waves, so its a lot easier unless its huge out... And when it is huge out, sometimes I am only averaging 1-2 wave per hour. You have to be super choosy, so if you want a true, TOH bomber, it can take 3-4 hours easy while you are picking and chosing;

In the summer, I could last 5 hours, but I get outta dodge after an hour in the summer. Once I get a solid handful of good waves with a few tricks, im out.

But also, I am down to 1.5 hours due to age. I am 30 now and in great shape, but I am just busy with life, work and all that, so I dont find myself out for many 4-5 hour sessions like I used to. At age 25, I treated everyday like christmas morning and would be out until my arms and body would fail. I mean fail. Complete dehydration. Thighs just in tons of main after all the pumping and surfing all day. Now when I feel myself kicking into my secondary power source, I call it a day.... Also, my surfing has gotten to where im 100% happy with it. I got to the highest level I really can, so now I just surf, rather than spending 4 hours trying to stick the same move or learn some new trick. Now I just surf. Its not like a job all the time. its just fun.

So, long story short.... 1.5 hours.
    Last edited by zach619; Aug 15, 2010 at 09:15 PM.

On average prob about 2 and half.

In the water with maybe a 10 - 15 min break --- 3 to 5 summer --- 1 to 3 winter depending on conditions.

Images
    good conditions if i have nothing i need to do warm water 4-7, same but cold water 2-4

Damn, you guys surf for a long time. Like I said, I normally average over 2 hours. If I am with a friend, I normally go for 4-5 hours, so I understand. But 95% of the time, I surf alone. I also do dawn patrol, and try to come back before my wife wakes up.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
    Damn, you guys surf for a long time. Like I said, I normally average over 2 hours. If I am with a friend, I normally go for 4-5 hours, so I understand. But 95% of the time, I surf alone. I also do dawn patrol, and try to come back before my wife wakes up.
    thats funny cause my wife wakes me up and tells me its time to head to the beach . LOL

In the summer I probably go 2 1/2 hours-3 hours a session. If the waves are good I'll surf morning and night so i'll get in about 5 hours. If it's a small but fun longboarding day, I can stay out for hours due to the lack of effort needed for those days. Winter days are usually a good 2 hours.