LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hilton Head Island - OB, SD
    Posts
    4,749
    Images
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by surfsup View Post
    you shouldn't sleep anyway...it's your bachelor party. you should be more concerned about what strip club you are going to, not what break you are going to surf.

    i had my bachelor party at the links at brigantine too. be prepared...the green heads are the size of B52 Bombers...they can eat you alive if the wind is light. Aside from that, fun times.

    You can try Surf Shack in Vetnor for rentals http://www.shellemsurfshack.com/. Mikey is the owner maybe he can hook you up with a performance board. Also try Primal Surf in Brigantine www.psurf.com. not sure what kind of rentals they handle.
    Yeah, I am sure the surf will be an afterthought. The links at Brigantine looks really fun. I looked at the course map and it looks like there are out of bounds hazzards over to the left of almost every fairway. I play Torrey Pines and courses like that regularly, but have never played a Links sytle course.... So, although I haven't seen it, I am picturing Gigantic, wide fairways, with not a ton of rough all around it, with Huge amounts of green. The guy I spoke to on the phone just said to make sure and drive the ball low off the tee and stuff because wind there kicks up and kills your ball flight and accuracy, so low is the name of the game...

    As far as strip clubs etc... I just know we are having dinner at the Borgata at Bobby Flays steak house. Im stoked about that. Then its off to the casinos and strip clubs... Hopefully, I will stumble to the beach and do a still drunk, havent slept yet session like I used to do in my early 20s all the time...

    But as far as the shops, I will probably go ahead and call both of them tomorrow and see what the deal is with the boards... As you all know, 2 days ago, the swell was to peak Friday, then it was thursday, now it has moved back through wednesday, into late tuesday and dropping off wednesday, so at this rate, I might need a log anyway. Hopefully, the storm will slow down a tad and keep the waves into that Wednesday window...

    But anyway, good looking out on the advice, info and especially the board shops.

    I already got in touch with like 5 guys in Lahaina in Maui who already have some rental deals for me. I got it down to like $75 for 8 days at a shop down there. He said he has multiple high performance shortboards... So, once I nail down a stick on AC, my problems are solved.

    Thanks again.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hilton Head Island - OB, SD
    Posts
    4,749
    Images
    26
    wow. every shop ive call in jersey only rent foam tops, or nothing at all. BS.

    Primal Surf in Brigantine said that I could buy a used board and sell it back to them a day later!!! WTF?

  3. #23
    You've got to realize that jersey is very hard core.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hilton Head Island - OB, SD
    Posts
    4,749
    Images
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by rodndtube View Post
    You've got to realize that jersey is very hard core.
    =)

    I am just saying, I have always categorized jersey as having the best surf the mid-atlantic has to offer, so to see that the community is so unfriendly to travelling surfers throws me off. I mean, i understand the fact that the majority of people coming in these shops require foam boards and water wings, but to just act like no actual surfers are ever going to visit new jersey is weird to me. I mean, OC MD has 4 shops, and after a simple conversation, all of them have bent the rules and hooked me up with a good stick for a day or two... All this jersey talk of beach passes and foam boards is tripping me out. Crazy...

    Somehow, some way, I will get a board damnit!

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    wow. every shop ive call in jersey only rent foam tops, or nothing at all. BS.

    Primal Surf in Brigantine said that I could buy a used board and sell it back to them a day later!!! WTF?
    Not even bics or nsps?

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    =)

    I am just saying, I have always categorized jersey as having the best surf the mid-atlantic has to offer, so to see that the community is so unfriendly to travelling surfers throws me off. I mean, i understand the fact that the majority of people coming in these shops require foam boards and water wings, but to just act like no actual surfers are ever going to visit new jersey is weird to me. I mean, OC MD has 4 shops, and after a simple conversation, all of them have bent the rules and hooked me up with a good stick for a day or two... All this jersey talk of beach passes and foam boards is tripping me out. Crazy...

    Somehow, some way, I will get a board damnit!
    Many shops don't want to deal with rentals' ding repairs, broken boards and liability (you hit somebody with the pointy end of a thruster). A soft top takes care of that problem. They figure real surfers will either bring their own boards, know somebody, buy one of the super shapes jersey has to offer, or just go golfing.

    The first lesson in surf travel in this era is don't rely upon ticket price alone - a person has to add in all the extras and then figure out what makes sense for him/her. And read the fine print at an airline's website that covers things such as boards, fees and embargoes and then check the actual flight itinerary due to rampant code sharing and the policy of many regional carriers to not carry large items such as boards. A person may think a Continental flight is being booked but in fact it is a Delta-operated flight following Delta rules.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by brek View Post
    Not even bics or nsps?
    Buy a Brian Wynn and keep it with the folks in Maryland.

  8. #28
    I agree with Rod...you've got to check out the whole package.

    Delta is THE worst with baggage fees (besides a few that have actually stop accepting boards altogether). No surfer should ever fly Delta.

    Hope it all works out for you.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Driftingalong View Post
    Delta is THE worst with baggage fees (besides a few that have actually stop accepting boards altogether). No surfer should ever fly Delta.
    agreed. delta & continental are both absolutely horrible. during summer months, continental won't even take boards.

    on the other hand, i just got back from a trip to the other side of the world on the best airline ever-air emirates. no excess baggage fee, full meals (that were actually good!) w/ real silverware, stewardesses that are easy on the eyes, & an entertainment system that rivals the one in my house. i highly recommend them if anyone's heading to that area any time soon.

  10. #30
    yeah dont spend your $ shipping your board with some big jet company like delta. Save the $ and just buy a used board from a local shop and sell it back to them when your done even if it is just for a few sessions. You'll save money supporting a small local shop then shipping usually. And they'll appreciate the business. Most cool workers at surfshops would let you do that.