LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Just Finished First Board

I had been building and selling alaias for awhile now but i decided to get my feet wet in foam/glass boards. i built a 5'10ish fish with two inches nose rocker 1 inch tail rocker and a flat entry and bottom its 22 inches wide and floats like a champ. Just thought i would post it up here and put some pics up. i normally surf a 6'2" shortboard but i thought a fish might be fun. oh and its twin fin fcs. anyone else ever made their own board? i ran into a lot of trouble building mine actually ruined one blank but oh well :P post your stuff

sweet board man , i just started shaping my own boards last year, how did you ruin a blank i make mistakes but i never had to trash one , i just keep in mind foam is alot easier to take off then put back on

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billabongmoney View Post
    sweet board man , i just started shaping my own boards last year, how did you ruin a blank i make mistakes but i never had to trash one , i just keep in mind foam is alot easier to take off then put back on
    well haha i was really really stupid. i didnt read up or anything and i had shaped this first board which i really liked then when i started glassing all these bubbles started coming up etc... i had used an xps blank with polyester resin.. in which acetone based resins eat up the the poly poly in xps haha. so it wasnt like a shaping error or anything just a dumb dumb resin error. what type of boards you make?

thats my first and only, i want to make a fish next spring

I love these types of threads! Provides inspiration...reminds me of when I shaped my first...and how much fun it is to ride your own stuff! I have done it all...ruined blanks, improper resin mixes, fin box issues, etc. For my first, I used RR epoxy fast hardner for standard FCS plugs in an EPS blanks--talk about burn out! Great learning experience(s) and I have found that with each board I improve. I think at this point, I've shaped/glassed something around the upper 30s...not too sure. But this by far has been my favorite...5'10"x19 1/4"x 2 1/4" Twinney with trailer (nt., 1st pic--took this with my phone after I finished the lam--2nd pic was its inaugural ride!!!). Fast, quick rail to rail...man...too bad it now has a huge delam! The blank is a clark and its actually a reshaped a 6'6" 70's Spectrum! Hope you continue at it Soul...looks like it is a fun board!

Board building is fun. here is my 7-6 single fin. . .
    Attached Images Attached Images

sweet boards , hope mine turns out good.

Images
    I think this is #21 or so. EPS 5'9" RNF quad. This one rides great...my first attempt at a quad a couple years ago was a straight up dud.

my first board 5'8" quad with stretched bamboo cloth instead of fiberglass and proboxes