LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coast guard

Images

coast guard

Is anyone in the coast guard? I was thinking about joining and looking for a personal opinion.

Dad retired from. What do you need to know?

Images
    got a bunch of random questions,

Do you have to go to the academy in New London CT?

Do they have a metereology job/career?

Different types of jobs available for careers

Their website just had like civilian, officer, reserve, and enlisted as careers but didn't really explain what the differences are and or requirements of each

I am a senior in high school I am applying to the Academy. Such a good deal in my book. Its an amazing experience.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyJerz609 View Post
    I am a senior in high school I am applying to the Academy. Such a good deal in my book. Its an amazing experience.
    do you have to be right out of high school to enter the academy? I just finished college in May and am wondering how that would effect my pay or rank with a 4 year degree

Holy crap, slow down bro! LOL I know my dad said a lot of things have changed since 911. Search and rescue to homeland security, blah, blah When he retired he was on the Atlantic Strike Team. Any ship entering the Chesapeake Bay, they boarded and inspected. My dad and my cousin went to an academy in Jersey. If you don't mind waiting a little bit, I can give him a call and try and ask some of these question for ya.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeroevol View Post
    Holy crap, slow down bro! LOL I know my dad said a lot of things have changed since 911. Search and rescue to homeland security, blah, blah When he retired he was on the Atlantic Strike Team. Any ship entering the Chesapeake Bay, they boarded and inspected. My dad and my cousin went to an academy in Jersey. If you don't mind waiting a little bit, I can give him a call and try and ask some of these question for ya.

haha yeah thats fine. I have work in an hour so hopefully i get some more people posting. I graduated with a criminal justice degree hoping to get a job as a law enforcement officer but either they are getting laid off, not hiring, or when they do hire, a million people apply, especially people with military backgrounds. I figured this is slightly along the same lines but also has the ocean included, which obviously is a plus.

My wife has her degree and some buddies want her to go into the Air Force. If she went in (with a degree) she would go in as an officer. So I would assume, your degree would help ya bro! In the mean time, I will check with my dad and try to answer some of your other questions! Good luck

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyJerz609 View Post
    Graduated from high school with a girl who went there. She was definitely at the top of the class, but heard she flunked out. They also say it's the hardest school to get into in the US. I always dreamed of going there out of HS but knew it was about impossible.

Good luck and wish the best!

I was in tha Army from 02 to 06, and talked to the coast guard after getting out, I was serious about joining and met with a recruiter. Here are the facts from my visit in 2006( which could have changed but from what I hear havent)

They pick your job(m.o.s) , usually they put you where they are shorted

They choose your first duty station where you must stay for a minimum of 3yrs(of course you get leaves and 4 days)

At this point I stood up and left.

You could join w/ the hope of being in a certain field on the ocean( big risk)

You could wind up being a rescue boat crewman on one of the great lakes( no waves = no good)