LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Swell period question

Do Longer wave periods always mean more time in between sets? That's what I've been told from numerous people.

Well how come during long period hurricane swells, in my limited experience, the waves are relentless with tremendous consistency and hardly ever a real lull for long? Seems that the frontal short period systems are more gusty and have more time in between sets?

Is it just my imagination because the waves are so much bigger it seems like less time in between waves?

getting worked

Its because your getting worked so hard white water is so much more powerful once your our you'll realize the time between sets

Quote Originally Posted by bauer View Post
    Its because your getting worked so hard white water is so much more powerful once your our you'll realize the time between sets
    Yeah I think you hit the nail on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb2056 View Post
    Yeah I think you hit the nail on the head.
    i like the sarcasm bc i dont know what hes saying. ::crossesfingers::

Quote Originally Posted by schweez View Post
    i like the sarcasm bc i dont know what hes saying. ::crossesfingers::
    What? I wasn't being sarcastic.

Did you read/watch any of the tutorials yet? Suggest a search of the Internet for some basic information on the issue -- in the long run you will appreciate it and can then apply your knowledge to other spots and not just your local shoreline.

Better yet, buy or borrow from your library the classic on the subject:
    Bascom, Willard. Waves and Beaches: The Dynamics of the Ocean Surface. Garden City, N.Y.: Anchor Press, 1980.

Quote Originally Posted by rodndtube View Post
    Did you read/watch any of the tutorials yet? Suggest a search of the Internet for some basic information on the issue -- in the long run you will appreciate it and can then apply your knowledge to other spots and not just your local shoreline.

Better yet, buy or borrow from your library the classic on the subject:
    Bascom, Willard. Waves and Beaches: The Dynamics of the Ocean Surface. Garden City, N.Y.: Anchor Press, 1980.
    Whats up with all you retards? Someone asks a question, either answer it or don't answer it. This is the reason why these forums are practically dead.

a long period swell does not mean more time between "sets". It simply means that the period being 10 secs is the time usually between each wave. The longer periods as you will see give the wave more time to build in size, speed and power which leads to better waves. A 1 foot swell @ a 10 sec period will always be better than a 10 foot swell @ a 5 sec period. youll learn with experience. just pay attention.

Quote Originally Posted by burdturd View Post
    Whats up with all you retards? Someone asks a question, either answer it or don't answer it. This is the reason why these forums are practically dead.
    I provided some answers... they will require a little bit of work and the harvest will yield great fruits. Basically, reading a book such as the one by Bascom, or some of the "tutorials" available on various wave forecasting and other surf-related sites will provide a broad spectrum of information that more authoritative and succinct than several opinions on a forum that may or may not be accurate. Good answers and relevant knowledge on the topic of hurricane swells will also take a few pages... forums don't handle that much information very well.

BTW, practice what you a preaching in your reply, burdturd! Stay on-topic

the period refers to each wave, not a set and it means thats how long it takes from the time it starts to form to the time it breaks, so its better formed and has more power