LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Happened

What Happened

I was pumped to head out surfing today and when i went down to the beach there wasn't any signs of waves. I doubt it's gonna build to over head like it says for tomorrow, at least not where I'm at anyway

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by II ikey II View Post
    I was pumped to head out surfing today and when i went down to the beach there wasn't any signs of waves. I doubt it's gonna build to over head like it says for tomorrow, at least not where I'm at anyway
    i think the same, i was in LB today, and it was shin high, ibut chest in Seaside
    there should be something ridable tomorrow

Images
    Same here, went to the beach and it was knee high.

Yeah it sucked big and I have to work tomorrow. Hopefully some leftovers on Monday, but who knows.

The swell reading in near shore waters was exactly as forecasted in Long Island/RI. It was around 2.5 feet at 15 seconds all day, which basically means flat/knee high! How someone forecasts chest/head high out of that type of buoy reading on the east coast is beyond me. I didn't bother going out, just looked at the buoy and cam's. Obvious nothing was going on. The buoy's don't lie. Even the nws forecasted 4-6 foot waves. They must have been smokin that crack pipe. Western RI was flat as a pancake and it was just slightly bigger the farther east you went.(ie closer to the storm )
    Last edited by mikeb2056; Aug 28, 2010 at 09:39 PM.

drove all around mon cty to find flatness everywhere. surfed squan - was 'fun', head high +, minus the hard N wind and insane crowd. could only deal w/ that for an hr or so. from deal north there was barely even a trace of waves. ankle-knee high nothing.

this same thing happened last yr w/ bill. south of monmouth county was pumping overhead and monmouth was almost flat. i really don't understand it. there must be something w/ the contours of hte coast that all of the swell just unloads south of here and we get like a fraction of it. swellinfo, any comment?
    Last edited by mOtion732; Aug 28, 2010 at 09:47 PM.

I've found from experience in RI that there needs to be a small craft advisory from the nws. If there's not that issued, generally there's not going to be a big swell. They warn about long period swells breaking in shoaling area's ect. Now of course you have to pay attention to the winds/how close storm is/direction/buoy swell period/height ect. to see if it's clean. They can issue an advisory just for choppy sea's, so it's no guarantee of a swell, but it's almost always issued every time there's a big swell in the water. No advisory today= flatness.
    Last edited by mikeb2056; Aug 28, 2010 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mOtion732 View Post
    drove all around mon cty to find flatness everywhere. surfed squan - was 'fun', head high +, minus the hard N wind and insane crowd. could only deal w/ that for an hr or so. from deal north there was barely even a trace of waves. ankle-knee high nothing.

this same thing happened last yr w/ bill. south of monmouth county was pumping overhead and monmouth was almost flat. i really don't understand it. there must be something w/ the contours of hte coast that all of the swell just unloads south of here and we get like a fraction of it. swellinfo, any comment?
    Farther south=closer to storm center=less time for swells to degrade in size.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb2056 View Post
    Farther south=closer to storm center=less time for swells to degrade in size.
    dude manasquan is like 10 miles from deal. it's overhead in manasquan and flat in deal. it's not an issue of time.

Strathmere was fun although I am not sure it will be able to handle the predicted size for tomorrow. We had really clean waist to stomach in the morning and it built to chest in the afternoon but it got choppy once the winds got on it.

Pretty much exactly as surf-forecast called it.
    Last edited by Hanaebu; Aug 28, 2010 at 10:05 PM.

Images
    I just hope theres something tomorrow for monmouth county