LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Long Branch NJ..no waves??

so i went to Longbranch today and went right past presidents beach and every wave was breaking to far on shore... will this be the same for tomorrow??

Images
    Don't post anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by friedrice93 View Post
    so i went to Longbranch today and went right past presidents beach and every wave was breaking to far on shore... will this be the same for tomorrow??
    Yes it will be the same

i was on belmar, lbi and brigantine this weekend all breaking on shore, it was terrible

not only did the waves suck but the water in LB was so freaking nasty this afternoon!! What was with that?!?!

I've said it a billion times. hurricane swells are super fickle. The real surf should start in about 2 months and last until April

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    I've said it a billion times. hurricane swells are super fickle. The real surf should start in about 2 months and last until April
    Not sure where your getting this info from. July is slightly more consistent than January. The majority of ride-able days/consistency(ie at least 3 feet and least 7 seconds) exist in the fall and spring. 10% of days are ride-able on average in January vs. 13% in July in Rhode island. Around 26% of days are ride-able on average in September. "Winter" surfing is more of an ego thing. Only a lunatic goes in the water in December/January/February in the north Atlantic with air temps in the teens and water temps in the lower 30s. haha Your telling me that is fun? I'd rather have beach babes and warm weather with nice mushy shoulder high point break type waves. But to each their own! Have fun and make sure your nuts don't freeze off! I do agree hurricane swells are fickle sometimes, but when you score....you score.
    Last edited by mikeb2056; Aug 30, 2010 at 12:20 AM.

I'm not saying a nor'easter in January doesn't provide huge waves. I'm just talking about consistency and number of ride-able days. There seems to be this myth that "winter" is so much better and this simply isn't true. Fall and Spring is where it's at. The middle of winter isn't that much more consistent than the summer.

fancy pants

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb2056 View Post
    Not sure where your getting this info from. July is slightly more consistent than January. The majority of ride-able days/consistency(ie at least 3 feet and least 7 seconds) exist in the fall and spring. 10% of days are ride-able on average in January vs. 13% in July in Rhode island. Around 26% of days are ride-able on average in September. "Winter" surfing is more of an ego thing. Only a lunatic goes in the water in December/January/February in the north Atlantic with air temps in the teens and water temps in the lower 30s. haha Your telling me that is fun? I'd rather have beach babes and warm weather with nice mushy shoulder high point break type waves. But to each their own! Have fun and make sure your nuts don't freeze off! I do agree hurricane swells are fickle sometimes, but when you score....you score.
    ok so your figures and statistics look impressive but you didnt say where you got your info from either. your post is comparable to a science jargon filled diet-pill commercial.

in regards to consistency, no one (ok most people) do not care for the "i-have-nothing-better-to-do-so-ill-ride-knee-high-slop-on-a-longboard" type of waves. i personally would take 1 head to overhead groundswell once every two weeks than knee to waist high every day. i have a job, responsibilities, and a life outside of surfing. i remember when i was 16 and it was nice to kill a whole day at the beach in the summer. now i am not as lucky. i am, however, thankful that quality swells come in the winter when most "surfers" would rather be indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by bananadogpizza View Post
    ok so your figures and statistics look impressive but you didnt say where you got your info from either. your post is comparable to a science jargon filled diet-pill commercial.

in regards to consistency, no one (ok most people) do not care for the "i-have-nothing-better-to-do-so-ill-ride-knee-high-slop-on-a-longboard" type of waves. i personally would take 1 head to overhead groundswell once every two weeks than knee to waist high every day. i have a job, responsibilities, and a life outside of surfing. i remember when i was 16 and it was nice to kill a whole day at the beach in the summer. now i am not as lucky. i am, however, thankful that quality swells come in the winter when most "surfers" would rather be indoors.
    http://magicseaweed.com/Misquamicut-Surf-Guide/783/
    Trying not to advertise the competition on rival message board. Scroll down and look the consistency/swell height. It's clear where the biggest and baddest swells happen. Spring and Fall. Of course there might be just a few overhead days in jan and then flatness which will roll down the average. Winter is not consistent and certainly not better than the spring and fall.(ie sept, oct, nov, late march, april, may) That was my point. Anyway, have fun out there.
    Last edited by mikeb2056; Aug 30, 2010 at 12:54 AM.