LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 25 of 25

Thread: washed up fish

  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,377
    Images
    121
    FYI, you can attach images to your past, but clicking on the paperclip icon at the top line of the edit tools when you make your post.

    The paperclip is to the right of the smiley face.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Green Room
    Posts
    905
    Images
    8
    i think they are poisonous if you don't filet it correctly. I think puffer is a japanese delacacy. But you have to master the art of the filet... young grasshoppa...

    There are over 120 different species of this peculiar fish, best known for its ability to turn itself into a big, spiny ball when threatened. If cleaned and properly prepared, puffer fish, or blowfish as it is also know, can be safely eaten and is even considered a delicacy in Japan.
    However, beware before ordering a plate of puffer. The liver, gonads, intestines, and skin of some species contain a neurotoxin called tetrodotoxin, a poison also found in the California newt and the eastern salamander and that can cause death if ingested.

    In Japan, where a meal of puffer, or fugu, can run you a pretty penny, chefs are required to undergo an exam and acquire a special license to prepare the dish. During the exam, which has only a 25% pass rate, the chef must prepare and then eat a meal of puffer fish. Despite these precautions, some 100-200 people suffer from tetrodotoxin poisoning every year. Approximately half of these cases result in death.

    Only small portions of contaminate fish need to be consumed for poisoning to occur, and the effects are felt within minutes. Symptoms usually include tingling of the mouth, vomiting, dizziness, and eventually, paralysis and death. There is no known antidote so treatment usually includes pumping the stomach.

    However, tetrodotoxin might not be all bad. Recent research has suggested that it may ease pain in cancer patients and help wean heroin addicts.

  3. #23

    Asian Delicacy

    Funny post Wally, with lot's of great info about the puffers. They are definitely a delicacy throughout asia with the same licensing requirements throughout. I was in Korea in 2007 and had some sashimi and soup. Of course I let my hosts try it first to be sure it was safe He got me back by making me try sea cucumber Never, under any circumstances, put that in your mouth, trust me!

    Drew

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LBI
    Posts
    905
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by wallysurfr View Post
    i think they are poisonous if you don't filet it correctly. I think puffer is a japanese delacacy. But you have to master the art of the filet... young grasshoppa...

    There are over 120 different species of this peculiar fish, best known for its ability to turn itself into a big, spiny ball when threatened. If cleaned and properly prepared, puffer fish, or blowfish as it is also know, can be safely eaten and is even considered a delicacy in Japan.
    However, beware before ordering a plate of puffer. The liver, gonads, intestines, and skin of some species contain a neurotoxin called tetrodotoxin, a poison also found in the California newt and the eastern salamander and that can cause death if ingested.

    In Japan, where a meal of puffer, or fugu, can run you a pretty penny, chefs are required to undergo an exam and acquire a special license to prepare the dish. During the exam, which has only a 25% pass rate, the chef must prepare and then eat a meal of puffer fish. Despite these precautions, some 100-200 people suffer from tetrodotoxin poisoning every year. Approximately half of these cases result in death.

    Only small portions of contaminate fish need to be consumed for poisoning to occur, and the effects are felt within minutes. Symptoms usually include tingling of the mouth, vomiting, dizziness, and eventually, paralysis and death. There is no known antidote so treatment usually includes pumping the stomach.

    However, tetrodotoxin might not be all bad. Recent research has suggested that it may ease pain in cancer patients and help wean heroin addicts.
    the northern pufferfish that was shown in my picture is not poisonous, but ive never hear of anyone eating it. I know that the ones prepared in Asia are a very different species, but its still probably not a good idea to eat any sort of pufferfish without the right preparation

  5. I fish march-june, then mid of Sept till Jan I know people that haven't eaten blow fish they are not poisonous from touch but inside they do have poison in certain parts I am told by the people that have eaten em, thTt. They cut out the poisonous parts, Idk how you could do that but w.e nd they're very boney I hear but also very tastey