LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Cut Off At Break

I'm a new guy in my second year of learning to surf. Last year I was on a softtop and this year I have a heavy 8'6" Bic Peterpan. I surf in Strathmere where there is one mile to surf without much clogging.

On Sunday I had a breakthrough day catching waves on top and cutting down the line in the face of the wave. My friends who are experienced surfers are great in how they push me to learn and let me catch a few nice waves that they would usually bust out on. Unfortunately it was crowded and a stranger kept cutting me off just as I was going to jump on the board. He was a real D-bag who wouldn't talk to me when I tried to be social. I felt like Johny Utah in Point Break. I almost was going to launch into the wave and bust him with my Bic as he came down in front of me.

Is there a protocol among surfers about this when a newbie is trying to get good. I know, just get good, right?

Thank God summers over!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yambo View Post
    I'm a new guy in my second year of learning to surf. Last year I was on a softtop and this year I have a heavy 8'6" Bic Peterpan. I surf in Strathmere where there is one mile to surf without much clogging.

On Sunday I had a breakthrough day catching waves on top and cutting down the line in the face of the wave. My friends who are experienced surfers are great in how they push me to learn and let me catch a few nice waves that they would usually bust out on. Unfortunately it was crowded and a stranger kept cutting me off just as I was going to jump on the board. He was a real D-bag who wouldn't talk to me when I tried to be social. I felt like Johny Utah in Point Break. I almost was going to launch into the wave and bust him with my Bic as he came down in front of me.

Is there a protocol among surfers about this when a newbie is trying to get good. I know, just get good, right?
    First off welcomer to the forum .

If you dont alot of reading in here it can help you in and out of the water . As for bing cut off or "snaked" if he had the peak on the wave he had right of way or he could tell that you were a newb and too advantage of you lack of experience. Yes in some spots there is a heirarchy or pecking order and it there for a reason. One reason is these guys paid there dues and have been surfing the spot for many years and were a newb like you at one time. Another reason is for the safety of you and everyone around them . If you paddled out into a crowd of guys already out there that not really a smart thing to do. Best things to do is surf a bit further down from them to avoid accidently getting in someones way and the other thing you can do is watch others and be polite. Most guys will be social if you are polite and so some respect. Others are mad at the world and will be ****s till the day they die.

dont feel bad or discouraged most of us have been in your shoes at one time

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MATT JOHNSON View Post

hmmmm......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C4lAvCBBUs

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cresto4 View Post
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahhahaha

if he was up and riding before you were then its his wave. The protocol - at least - where I surf - is when its waist high and below, if a beginner has a good attitude, you do back off and let him have his share of waves. But if its 2-3x a year conditions i.e. chest-head + and pumping with warm water, sorry buddy, all bets are off

Quote Originally Posted by MATT JOHNSON View Post
    First off welcomer to the forum .

If you dont alot of reading in here it can help you in and out of the water . As for bing cut off or "snaked" if he had the peak on the wave he had right of way or he could tell that you were a newb and too advantage of you lack of experience. Yes in some spots there is a heirarchy or pecking order and it there for a reason. One reason is these guys paid there dues and have been surfing the spot for many years and were a newb like you at one time. Another reason is for the safety of you and everyone around them . If you paddled out into a crowd of guys already out there that not really a smart thing to do. Best things to do is surf a bit further down from them to avoid accidently getting in someones way and the other thing you can do is watch others and be polite. Most guys will be social if you are polite and so some respect. Others are mad at the world and will be ****s till the day they die.

yep...it happens. don't take it personally. if he saw you eat it a few times, he prob assumed you'd do it again. surfing has a long-standing tradition of education by humiliation, and as a "newbie" it'll happen. it just does. i've been surfing for a pretty friggen long time now, and i got dropped in on several times over the weekend. you just take it as it comes and watch them and hopefully they tear the crap out of the wave. if the guy wipes out...it's pretty hard to not get pissed. but don't! surfing is about FUN. if you love it, then keep at it, and soon enough you'll be on the other end of that situation and it'll all make sense.

Images
    Not exactly LOL

Never messed with a wave pool

hahahaha

you sure that ain't rudee inlet???

Lmfao...

And like MJ said, there are certain rules to certain spots. I know out in San Diego at the South Mission Jetty don't even try to get near the peak. Those guys will gang up on you