LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    if he was up and riding before you were then its his wave.

It depends who is closest to the Peak of the wave not who stood up first. If he was at the Peak of the wave and the guy droping in front of him then he was snaked. That I was up first its my wave agrument is BS. Its whoever is closet to the peak of the wave has the rights to it. Not the seasone vet or Longboarder trying to catch it when its still a lump or the little ripper deep in the whitewater trying to work his way to the peak behind you .

If people knew who had the rights to the wave and knew when to back off then someone was closer the the peak than them alot of arguments wouldnt happen

I usually try to stay out of the way of you vets. I'm not used to a packed lineup after a hurricane. I will try to get my chops down better to be able to surf in a crowded scene. I'm almost 50 and want to get this down while I can still pop up on a board. I won't quit after Sunday when my lady gave me a big hug when I came in - pays off.

My friends tell me to move on from a Bic but I'll stick with it until I have another summer to get better. What's a good fiberglass board to move up to.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yambo View Post
    I usually try to stay out of the way of you vets. I'm not used to a packed lineup after a hurricane. I will try to get my chops down better to be able to surf in a crowded scene. I'm almost 50 and want to get this down while I can still pop up on a board. I won't quit after Sunday when my lady gave me a big hug when I came in - pays off.

My friends tell me to move on from a Bic but I'll stick with it until I have another summer to get better. What's a good fiberglass board to move up to.
    there are alot of local shapers in the area that can make you a board that will perform to your skill level and will help you progress better than a bic

Jim at Legend Surfboards

Brian Wynn at Wynn surfboards

Austin surfboards

Matador surfboards

Cosmic Bull Surfboards

are just a few , check out there sites shoot them a email and explain to them what you want and see what they can do for you
    Last edited by MATT JOHNSON; Sep 8, 2010 at 12:09 AM. Reason: hurting someones eyes! LOL

Images

Good God!

As a lifelong member of the professional society of English Majors. . . my eyes hurt.

we Shod st@rt r own language:

Quote Originally Posted by MATT JOHNSON View Post
    It depends who is closest to the Peak of the wave not who stood up first. If he was at the Peak of the wave and the guy droping in front of him then he was snaked. That I was up first its my wave agrument is BS. Its whoever is closet to the peak of the wave has the rights to it. Not the seasone vet or Longboarder trying to catch it when its still a lump or the little ripper deep in the whitewater trying to work his way to the peak behind you .

If people knew who had the rights to the wave and knew when to back off then someone was closer the the peak than them alot of arguments wouldnt happen
    Spot on, Matt!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yambo View Post

Most surfer's aren't going to give you much respect if you show up on a Bic. Look for a used board on craigslist. If you are basically done surfing until next summer, you shouldn't have any problem finding something. Should be able to get something for under $200. Dont be afraid to get buy a board with some dings... it's good to learn how to fix them anyway.

its not a legal matter here with rights and this and that - if I'm out in nice sized hurricane swell and I see a guy in his 40s struggling to catch a wave with a Bic (and even if he does what the hell is he going to do with it, go straight and then fall) and I can make it, sorry but I'm going.

Quote Originally Posted by brek View Post
    Most surfer's aren't going to give you much respect if you show up on a Bic. Look for a used board on craigslist. If you are basically done surfing until next summer, you shouldn't have any problem finding something. Should be able to get something for under $200. Dont be afraid to get buy a board with some dings... it's good to learn how to fix them anyway.
    That's been my approach. I'm new to surfing (second year) and I picked up a 9' long board on Craigslist for a few hundred bucks that had a good number of dings but was water tight. My second time out on it I cracked the nose right along the stringer. The next weekend I did my first repair which turned out pretty good. I'm sure glad I didn't do that on a new $800 board,

I'm still learning the etiquette out there. For now I'm just staying out of the way and spend a lot of time watching.

crowds suck

when its crowded I give a good loud holler as I make my drop in. That usually tells the kids and shoulder hoppers that something really loud is about to shoot down the line. If i still see someone dropping in i upgrade to a crazy rebel yell. If they are not off by then, they are likely to hear an earful about paying attention to what they are doing.

Newbies: If you hear someone screaming and racing along behind you, you probably dont have the right of way. If its good, and you cant get a wave at the peak, the worst thing that you can do is go for the shoulder or hang out inside. Just get out, look around, and hike down to a less crowded sand bar or something. There are always less crowded spots for you, even if it means going to a second rate beach. There are also a lot of good golf courses around....(haha had to)