LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    hahaha. I think the hippy types are the douchebags.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb2056 View Post
    I used to think surfer dude's were chill and laid back at one with nature hippy type of deal, until I started bodyboarding myself then I learned that a ton of them(not all) are total douche's.
    You can find douche's and hippies everywhere. People are people. Some are cool, some are lame. Nothing about surfing makes that any different. Although, I think more surfer's will appear to be cool if you stay away from the best peaks, don't drop in, apologize in case you do, and show respect to everyone in the water, especially the people better than you (even if they don't necessarily give it back). Not saying that you personally don't do any of those things... it's just what's worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by brek View Post
    You can find douche's and hippies everywhere. People are people. Some are cool, some are lame. Nothing about surfing makes that any different.
    True dat, but you know people are seriously screwed when you have such a thing as "surf rage" with a bunch of grown men playing in the water in a nice day at the beach. I mean seriously....Isn't life stressful enough? Bunch of wack jobs

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb2056 View Post
    True dat, but you know people are seriously screwed when you have such a thing as "surf rage" with a bunch of grown men playing in the water in a nice day at the beach. I mean seriously....Isn't life stressful enough? Bunch of wack jobs
    of course... wack jobs are everywhere. If you think surfer's are supposed to be hippies, you should go to a Phish concert and take note of the number of aggro-douchebags there. At least with surfing people can get seriously hurt if you don't follow proper etiquette.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    so now we have more beginners with less etiquette in the water today. THAT is a bad combination.
    yeah, tell me about it...I thought I was being a nice guy when I decided to help teach my friend how to surf...On Sunday, he dropped in on me (mind you, he wasn't even standing either) Here I am cruising down the face and his board nails my ****in' leg and put a nice gash in me...I really wasn't angered by it, but when I tried to explain to him what he did wrong, he gave me a whole bunch of **** like it was my fault that I was already riding the wave in front of him...some people just refuse to learn, they already think they know everything...it was definitely not my intention to help put another careless person out in the lineup...I keep telling him to read through the surf ethics, but he already knows it all...it's funny, if he actually looked at it, he would see what he did wrong...

haha thank god for heaving barrels, difficult paddle outs and winter!

I gotta say, during Earl...I didnt see anyone or personally myself experience any tension.....it was bizzare in a sense, everyone was out to have fun.......even if there was 3 or more getting on a wave. There were even a few bodysurfers out there (I got tangled up with one and he was quick to help me up above before the next wave broke).........Sure it might be a media thing brainwashing people, but we have the control out on the water when we spread the good vibe. Besides, people who are smart enough will learn on their own that you just cant get in, paddle out and be epic......its years of training, learning the swells, and breaks..........

I'm ecstatic that summer is over..........fall and winter barrels with 4 people out is more my style.........5/4/3 all the way!

Images
    aww that sucks alottt

Quote Originally Posted by pierpit1 View Post
    haha thank god for heaving barrels, difficult paddle outs and winter!
    I can't wait for next spring/summer. Screw winter and the cold, and the heavy barrels. I'm loving the BIG easy rollin' breaks! I'm a tropical guy. Love the young girls in the bikini's. Local colleges really deliver. Of course sept and oct should be awesome hopefully! I wish I lived in the tropics and didn't have to deal with winter sometimes. It's disgusting.
    Last edited by mikeb2056; Sep 10, 2010 at 01:21 AM.

Interesting discussion on this thread.

I think that two factors that have not been mentioned that have contributed to surfing's popularity in the past decade are cheap air travel and the internet. Cheap air travel has allowed "learn-to-surf" camps to spring up all over Central America and brought in many new people to the sport. And the internet, with surf cams and easy access to sophisticated forecasting, has for the first time made it possible to be a frequent surfer without living close to the beach. Plenty of surfers now have an hour+ drive to surf but are able to plan their schedules for swells and make sure the conditions are good before hopping in the car, making for more surfers overall and especially when the swell is good.