LOGIN | REGISTER

Thread: Morro Negrito

Morro Negrito

Thinking about a trip there this winter. Anybody been there?

been there 2x...july of 2005 & 2009. great surf both trips!! super fun & reasonably user-friendly for the most part.
    check the website for basic info: http://www.surferparadise.com/

& of course, ask away!

define user-friendly for the most part?

Images
    yep went there last year...probably told you about it.

Its kind of a hassle to get to but once on the island its a nice enough spot. Theres a left cobblestone point nearby that only breaks on low tide. really fun wave...very rippable..tucked into a bay so its smaller than other spots. All other spots require boat ride but there a lots of spots nearly including solid beach breaks and reefs. The guys who work there are always up for taking you out on the boat. Included food was OK, beers and sodas $2 ea.

The camp itself is a fun spot to hang out in the evening with the 10-15 other surfers that will be staying there.

We flew direct Dulles-Panama for $400 R/T on the Panamian airline cant remember the name..boards were like $100 R/T

LONG bus ride from the city to the port village to get boat to camp. If you miss the bus/get on the wrong bus your trip becomes a huge hassle, it happened to us because the camp gave us vague instructions on that part of the trip...otherwide they were well run and somewhat on top of things. The week we were there swell was average and we were getting the exposed spots HH/ slightly OH and the point break waist high+ every day.

Camp was like $700 / wk

Theres nothing else to spend $ on so the week was well under $1500 for me.

some (most) of the waves are, some aren't. my favorite waves there have been emily's (a fun left point right out front of the camp), the sandbar (a river mouth w/ A-frame peaks all over), & leftovers (a zippy outer-island break that's literally left over from the other 2 breaks near by). there are also a couple beach breaks that tend to close out in anything over 8ft & are finicky about swell angle.
    the more gnarly breaks are spots like p-land, the point, & nestle's. of those 3, i've only surfed p-land. it claimed a board & many chunks of skin.

mitchell,

when were you there last year? i was there the last week of july into august.

Thanks Mike. I remember your pics. since you've been to both, would you choose this spot over esterillos in CR?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    mitchell,

when were you there last year? i was there the last week of july into august.
    Mid April...We had a huge hassle getting there. Basically the camp's guy who was supposed to meet us at the airport (pretty sure his name was David) didnt meet us at the airport so it was up to us to get to the bus station and buy a ticket on a bus to Gualala where the camp picks you up. We figured all that out, but the bus broke down on the way and the 5 hour bus trip became 14 hours and we were never sure whether the camp would come for us when we got there at 2 a.m.but they did.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    Thanks Mike. I remember your pics. since you've been to both, would you choose this spot over esterillos in CR?
    its apples and oranges...better variety of waves at Morro, less hassle with Esterillos. If you're only going for a week, the travel to and from Morro is kind of overkill IMO

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    Mid April...We had a huge hassle getting there. Basically the camp's guy who was supposed to meet us at the airport (pretty sure his name was David) didnt meet us at the airport so it was up to us to get to the bus station and buy a ticket on a bus to Gualala where the camp picks you up. We figured all that out, but the bus broke down on the way and the 5 hour bus trip became 14 hours and we were never sure whether the camp would come for us when we got there at 2 a.m.but they did.

wow...that really sucks! i guess i should count me blessings that nothing like that has happened to me during my 2 visits! it's a mission & a half to get there under normal circumstances.