LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. o man the "its feb what the hell is wrong with you" i get that all the time and its like wtf is wrong with you for not doing it....wish people would respect the **** they dont understand a lil more its just a simple to each is own motto.......and as for the 70 dollar boardshorts two years ago i started to take my health alot more serious and lost some weight but i had like 10 pairs of boardies from years past so i let the wife fold the sides over and sew em and bam 10 new pairs all in my size haha

hahaha. I wear the same all-black ...lost boardies I picked off the sale rack 5 years ago! The only thing i really do splurge on are wetsuits. With those it's definitely 'you get what you pay for'.

Images
    some people don't have something they are passionate about... They dont understand.

Quote Originally Posted by MATT JOHNSON View Post
    I keep it simple Birdwells, Single fin Logs , Local shaped boards (exept my Bings) and I buy wetsuits that WORK not whats trendy. And they say I am old fashion LOL
    i'm pretty much the same, except it's a couple pairs of old patagonia trunks & shortboards. i get asked all the time why i don't have a "stomp" pad on my boards by the kids...& when the hell did it become a stomp pad instead of a trac pad?? never mind that not using the things saves me about $35 per board, i'm not a good enough surfer to require one. i doubt anyone but the best of the best pros do.
    i agree w/ the wetsuits that work comments...you get what you pay for, no doubt, tho i'm buying less & less into all the techno-hype that the major companies throw around. all i know is that the suits i wear fit me the best out of any company, they keep me warm, last a long time, & are comfy.
    i will say, tho...i had an urgent need for trunks last summer b/c i ripped my old favorites in a sensitive spot, so i picked up a pair of a company's high-tech super-stretchy trunks & i will admit they are comfortable as all get-out. i'm just glad i could find a pair of basic black rather than ones that look like a 2 year old vomited on.

I don't know..... having gone from all wax to flat astrodeck pads to raised 'stomp pads', I don't think I could ever go back to all wax. Preference I guess.

all wax.
    the pad is something to add to the expense so the shop can profit more

iv become spoiled with TRACTION pads. I dont think ill ever go back to all wax. I once made a trac pad out of like 6 bars of wax because i didnt want to wait 24 hours for the pad to set up. That junk was sweet until i left in my hot car all day.

wetsuits- yes. Best wetsuit that I ever bought wiped out an entire paycheck (XCEL infinity 4/3). I have used it for 3 years now, and im about to cut the sleeves off and pimp it through another fall (at least)

this may be taking things a little far, but i havnt purchased a board from a shop in like 5 years. There is nothing cooler than the bottom of your board saying "for lee".

totally agree. I love going to Ashton and having him pull a blank then rough out knowing that is MY board!

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    that's the thing that non-surfers don't get-surfers, at least serious ones, ARE losers! we geek out over weather maps & storm systems & obsess about having the right boards for the conditions. we'll skip a night out if the swell is gonna be good the next day so that we can grab a dawn session w/out a hangover. we'll leave a warm, hot, aroused girl in bed so that we can pull on a damp, cold 5mil, trudge thru knee deep snow, & take a 36 head-high set on the head, all so that we can get a couple good barrels to ourselves.
    there's nothing cool about being actively anti-social while pursuing an obsession like surfing. most of us on here maintain large, semi-diverse quivers spanning semi-guns to logs, alaias, hp shortboards, swim fins, & bodyboards. all of our extra $$ (& some that isn't extra) goes toward boards, wetsuits, & travel. work is merely a hindrance that prevents us from logging water time.
    real surfers are losers in every societal sense of the word.
    This is one of the better things I've read on this website.
    You pretty much nailed it

Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    wetsuits- yes. Best wetsuit that I ever bought wiped out an entire paycheck (XCEL infinity 4/3). I have used it for 3 years now, and im about to cut the sleeves off and pimp it through another fall (at least)

Yes, wetsuit I'll spend $$$ on. Last Black Friday after I got off duty I went to Coastal Edge (sue me haha) and bought the Quiksilver Cypher 5/4. Thing's amazing I love it. I only got it for about $160 due to the sale that day and having some other discounts

EDIT- Oh **** I almost forgot. What the **** is up with videos being so damn expensive? When I'm on duty or out to sea I enjoy watching surf DVDs and whatnot. Can't afford $32-$35 a dvd.